Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Care problem

profile.country.en_IE.title
CycleRepublic
Visitor

Vaio Care problem

While working on my Vaio laptoip, every once in a while, Vaio Care pops up saying that there's an important message in the Message Center. When I go there, all I see is spam from WildTangent.

The message reads:

Important Information

8/9/2012 Get WildTangent Games App +20 WildCoins

and it appears in 'Message Center' in VAIOCare.

If I click on it I'm brought to an external website selling online games.

This is quite obviously not an 'Important Message' and should not be displayed in VAIOCare.

Is there a way of blocking these messages or has Vaio Care been hacked to show these inappropriate messages?

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi VaioRepuplic,

I don’t think that Vaio Care has been hacked, more a collaboration between Vaio and WildTangent. Have a look at the following link:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/wildtangent-games-launches-on-vaio-in-europe-1634188.htm

I’m uncertain of how to stop this from running but have found the following link that may help but have a feeling that it applies if you have installed the software yourself. Otherwise make your displeasure known to Vaio Support and ask for instructions on how to remove this from your computer – I certainly would!

http://www.ehow.com/how_6888427_do-remove-wildtangent-dll_.html

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
CycleRepublic
Visitor

No, I have not installed WildTangent.

Vaio used be a classy brand, it's a bit underhand sneaking tacky advertisements into system support software.

Times seem to have changed since my XG18 and Z1.

Who's best to complain to?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi VaioRepublic,

This has been raised with one of our contacts within the Sony organisation as this collaboration with WildTangent, or more to the point the fact that messages are actuated from Vaio Care, is something new and in my opinion unwelcome.

Please bear with us for a few days while we try to get more information...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

A response has been received and hopefully we will have more information soon on this problem. I will keep you informed as and when more detail is available...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi VaioRepublic,

Your complaint was passed to the CSE team who have taken on board your complaint. There is no way for you to stop these messages individually but they will be taking this message offline from the VAIO Update server shortly in agreement with VMOE-Marketing team.

I'm not sure on timescale but let us know if they haven't stopped after a week.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
Hotlips922
Visitor

Thank god for that, It's really been doing my head in you have no idea. Thanks for that rich912.

CycleRepublic
Visitor

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is very inappropriate behaviour by Sony.

I'm still getting messages from Wild Tangent. I got another one today dated 8/30/2012 even though I configured VAIO Care Settings to 'Notify Only Critical Information'.

There's no way these messages are important or critical. This really shakes my confidence in Vaio Care.

Surely this breaches the Data Protection Act and should be allowed happen?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

We have asked for an approx. timescale on this being taken off the Vaio Update server - will update this thread when further information is available.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

We have been informed that the message about WildTangent will disappear from VAIO Care message centre by tomorrow.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat