Join now - be part of our community!

Updated VAIO to Windows 8 - No Mouse when restarted computer

profile.country.en_GB.title
brendino1985
Visitor

Updated VAIO to Windows 8 - No Mouse when restarted computer

Hello, I have recently updated my Sony VAIO model number SVE1511E4E from Windows 7 to 8.  Stupidly I did not download the Sony Upgrade kit first. Anyway, every time I RESTART my computer for some reason there is no mouse pointer on my Start screen.  It is fine when I have SHUTDOWN and then turn on my computer. I only experience this problem when I have RESTARTED my computer.  The computer definately hasn't crashed because I have to use the keyboard and tab to switch my computer off and then reboot again.  I have checked all the driver diagnostics for the touchpad and everything seems to be working fine.  I have emailed Sony and their only reply was you should have downloaded the Upgrade kit first. Is it worth my uninstalling Windows 8 and then starting all over again?  I am not very technically minded so please help.

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi brendino1985.

Unless you made a set of Recovery Discs, you may not be able to return to Windows 7 and start again.   Check in Disc Manager to see if the Recovery Partition is still there - I think installing Windows 8 may delete it.

You can try uninstalling the Touchpad Driver installed by Windows 8 and installing the Touchpad Driver from the Windows 8 Tab on the Sony Download Page for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVE1511E4E/updates

Alternatively, you could try downloading the Upgrade Kit and running it - but again, this will not work unless you still have a Recovery Partition.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
brendino1985
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thank you for your reply. I didn't make a set of recovery discs. DOH!

Do you think the problem is the Touchpad? It seems strange how I am only affected by this when I restart my VAIO.  I suppose it is something I could manage to live with but it kinda isn't the point.

One question though, if I do delete the Touchpad drivers, will I not be able to control my VAIO. i.e. how will I manage to download the new drivers from the link you provided me above?

I know I sound like a complete thicko. I don't know why I didn't think to download the Upgrade kit first. I have never done something like this before.

Many Thanks,

Message was edited by: brendino1985