Join now - be part of our community!

Too high a resolution and not enough memory

profile.country.en_GB.title
Hwalker1
Explorer

Too high a resolution and not enough memory

My Vaio has a resolution of about 1920 by 1080. It has an installed memory of 8 gigabytes.

I bought it to create websites using Adobe CS6 Dreamweaver and Fireworks, and also for Photoshop.

It has problems in all areas. First the resolution. To view any website in its native resolution, I have to press ctrl+ at least three times before any text is readable. To use Dreamweaver, fireworks or Photoshop is basically impossible as I cannot read the icons or text. If I switch the resolution to a different one than standard, I get a small rectangle in the middle of the screen which makes the text even more difficult to read.

To cap it all, it runs as slow as my 9 year old Toshiba which it replaced. Running Photoshop is impossible, as it can take 5 or more seconds after hitting a key for anything to happen.

So I thought I would install some more memory. Not possible - 8 gigabytes is the upper limit.

I cannot understand why a laptop costing over £900 should be so handicapped. My 5 year old 64 bit desktop can expand to 32 gigabytes, so why cannot the Sony. I thought that I was buying the top of the range machine, only to find that I have bought a pig in a poke.

Sony's website will not let me connect to it as it is always busy, so I cannot get to speak to anyone.All it is good for is playing games - something that I seldom do.

By the way - I can read down to the next to the bottom line of a standard UK eye test board with no problems with both eyes.

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Edited for advertising

2 REPLIES 2
soundman13
New

I've got an E17 with i7, 8GB & 2GB video card. I also design & build websites, use photoshop & dreamweaver. I have no issues with running these apps at 1080p. The performance is lightning fast with no lag what so ever.

If you have issues with the resolution - maybe set your display to run at a lower setting that suits you better? But keep in mind that other people will be viewing the websites at this screen resolution - so websites should be readable at these settings...its not the fault of the laptop.

Out of interest what size is the body text on the websites that you're looking at?...any paragraph text that is13px plus should be fine in my experience - even 12px is still readable.

Could there be a firewall or antivirus issue in the background thats slowing it all down?

635csi
New

I cannot read the text on http://home.bt.yahoo.com/

http://home.bt.yahoo.com/ithout at least three ctrl+ .Using Mozila Firefox tools to read the CSS, the fonts sizes range from 0.95em to 1.05 em.

The machine will run CS5.5 with no problems, but not CS6.

Changing the resolution has no effect on the text size, as all it does is use a smaller part of the screen,so you get a small box in the middle of the screen, with the same size text.

Perhaps there are some problems with the driver. I just fixed a problem on another machine by rolling back the Nvidia drivers one version.I am usingg my desktop at the moment - will try that on the laptop and see if it works any better and report back.