Join now - be part of our community!

sony vaio powers up but screen is blank

profile.country.en_GB.title
samuel497
Visitor

sony vaio powers up but screen is blank

HI

I have a sony vaio notebook model vgn-nw20ef when i power it up it loads up but the screen stays blank, i tried removing battery and holding power button for 60 secs but still no joy, i reformated it and updated to the latest graphic driver and still not working, when i connect a external monitor it works on that so im assuming the ram is ok, could the ram still be faulty and help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Sammy

3 REPLIES 3
samuel497
Visitor

could anyone help? please

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi samuel497 and welcome.

If everything works OK on an external monitor, it would seem to point to a fault with the screen.

Just confirm that at no time during start-up can you see anything on the screen?

Take a torch and shine it on the screen.  Can you see the desktop faintly?  If yes, then the backlight is not working and the most commom cause is a faulty Inverter.  The inverter provides high voltage to the backlight tubes.

If you cannot see a faint image then the most likely cause if a fault in the screen panel itself or a detatched wire to the screen.  In any event, a repair will probably be needed.

:thinking:

samuel497
Visitor

Hi thanks for the reply shined torch on screen and still cant  see anything, however i am an ex vending engineer and ok at module level so i stripped the front of the laptop, and had a look, i noticed the inverter board chip seems as if its overheated, and wondering if its meant to look like that?

i checked the connections on the 30 pin connecter, and inverter cables all seem to be connected properly, i am just hoping that there isnt a fault with the motherboard? could that be possible?

part number for new screen is lp156wh1 had a look on ebay etc and it seems that the part is now obsolete and there selling a led screen with an adapter will this work?

its a simple job to replace the screen but i dont want to fork out money and its not that, i wish i had parts at my disposal so i could try them but unfortunately not.

Sammy