Join now - be part of our community!

Sony re-imaging discs for Vaio TR2MP

profile.country.en_GB.title
northernsoul55
Visitor

Sony re-imaging discs for Vaio TR2MP

Hi hopfully someone can help me,  I recently bought a Sony Vaio TR2MP, which had the incorrect O/S installed so I decided to buy the  recovery/re-imaging disks off a company called Genner Communications.(http://www.gennersales.co.uk/).  I recieved the disks and proceeded to restore the computer, upon completion I found out that the F10  option did not work and now I had no restore option should the computer ever fail.  What I am wanting to know is, is this company legally entitled to supply Sony Recovery discs, as  they were not Sony disks(as i was led to believe) and had no Sony markings / logo on them as did  previous recovery discs I have purchased from Sony?  Or have I been the victim of Software piracy?    I appreciate your help in this matter and await your response.   Many thanks

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi northernsoul55,

As far as I am aware Sony has not licensed any company to supply their recovery media and given the rambling intro on the home page of this company I suspect they are less than kosher.

I didn’t think the PCG-TR2MP had a recovery partition (F10 option to restore) given the age and the fact that it was released with a 40Gb drive but I may be wrong on this.

The blurb on their web site suggests that the entire drive is wiped prior to recovery (not unusual) but a genuine set of recovery media would reinstate the hidden recovery partition if this is applicable.

You still have the option to purchase genuine recovery media from Sony support but of course at a cost. I believe the charge is approx. £50 and you will need to call the OOW number to order - from the UK the number is 0905 0310006.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat