Join now - be part of our community!

REINSTALLING CLEAN XP FOR PRO USE OR USE OEM VERSION ???

DefBringa
Visitor

REINSTALLING CLEAN XP FOR PRO USE OR USE OEM VERSION ???

hey...

just got my new PCG-GRT996ZP today and want to prepare it for my use...

i will use it for audio applications such as cubase, ableton live and so on.
it is not my first vaio notebook that i am using for this purpose, my previous PCG-GRX616MP was stolen 2 months ago...

i had the last notebook formated when i got it and did a clean new installation of xp pro and basically it was runnign smoothly.

i always do a lot of tweaking and optimization of windows to make it fit my needs.

now i was told that a tweaked and optimized oem version could do an even better job.

what i also heard is that if i want to set up a clean xp pro version i should reinstall bios in order to get in running just right.

what do you think ?

thanks in advance, daniel

4 REPLIES 4
TygerTyger
Visitor

Ummmmmmmmmmm. A BIOS can't be reinstalled. I don't know what advice you have been given, but I'd seriously advise you don't take it. They may have meant upgrade the BIOS, but I wouldn't do that either. It would most likely make no difference.

I think your best bet is to install the OEM XP Home, which gives you all the little components you need, and then do an upgrade to Pro. If you find that some drivers are a little off, or that the Fn keys no longer work then you may need to reinstall from the Original Drivers Packge which is @ C:\Drivers or the downloads section of www.vaio-link.com. Then tweak away.

DefBringa
Visitor

hey...

thanks for your reply !

concerning the bios i was told that sony offers a bios version for every notebook with no restrictions in terms of access.
if i enter my bios now i hardly can do anything at all, its all locked by sony, i cant really configure all the settings there.

so i wanted to reinstall it to have full access.

about the win xp thing i mixed up the terms oem and recovery cd. i have a win xp pro recovery cd with my notebook that is full of software crap that i dont need. so the registry is filled with stuff that i dont need the moment i set it up.
but then i was told that this recovery cd os optimized for my notebook so i could have good performance getting rid of the software that i dont need and tweaking it for my needs then...

my feeling tells me i should go for the new clean xp install again...

feederfan
Visitor

Using OEM stuff tends to be better as it is pre-customised for your laptop, for what you need to do, you dont really need XP Pro anyway. If your into recording, you might want to check out the new Audigy 2 Notebook Card, its very good..:smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It's not going to be easy to upgrade.

Sorry to hear someone nicked your GRX :cry: