Join now - be part of our community!

RA-204 leaking water???

ognils
Visitor

RA-204 leaking water???

Here's an interesting one....
I have only just taken delivery of an RA-204. Somewhere in the sales blurb I read about some sort of liquid cooling which reduces the ambient noise of the power supply/processor fans.
The PC has been left on for the past three or four days, but last night, knowing I was going to be out all day today, I switched it off.
My wife called me in a panic this afternoon because there was water all over the floor and it appeared to be coming from the PC.
When I got home I checked the PC inside and out and could find no trace of a leak or indeed any water anywhere within the PC, yet there had been a large pubble on the floor which was also direcly under the PC.
Given the radical design of the PC is it possible that this liquid has leaked from the cooling system? or another thought is that the PC has condensed the water from the surrounding air rather like a cars air-con. This may be possible as I had the side of the PC up tight to the side of the desk possibly restricting air flow.
So, anyone had anything similar? Can anyone shed any light on this at all?
By the way, the PC is working fine.
G.

16 REPLIES 16
ognils
Visitor

I guess the 'liquid' coling is a really new feature. Nevertheless I'd have expected Sony support to have known about it.
I took the case off to have a good look. The processor is housed under the psu which is easily and quickly removed ( a really nice design) and low and behold there is the processor. No fans at all just a massive heat sink and some pipes leading to one of the remote fan units. These clearly duct some sort of liquid and do a remarkable job as the heat sink was hardly even warm to the touch.
All in all a nice design, even more so now that I know that Sony don't make liquid cooled PC's :slight_smile:

Finally,

I do have dogs, they were out with me at the time.
There were no radiators or pipes anywhere near the PC.
The roof hadn't sprung a leak.
The only cup/glass nearby was full of tea and had not been spilled.
I did not imagine it.
I have not been abducted by Aliens (to my knowledge)

MY PC LEAKED - HONEST!

G.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I recon your wife is playing a nasty trick on you LOL :laughing:

God Sony Support SUCKS, they have had this infrastructure since JULY! IDIOTS!

:triumph: :triumph: :triumph:

Worries me really, we pay 1000's and we get this sort of nonsense.

I really am wondering where this water (liquid :smileytongue:) came from?

madxbri
Visitor

it could be the gost's of sony past
u know this time of year and all that :devil:

ognils
Visitor

Update:
Sony techies have just called me back to let me know that there is absolutely, categorically no way that my Vaio can be leaking!!

So, I'm gonna break it!!! It can go back under the desk in the same conditions as before and it can cook!

When it leaks, because unless its out of coolant, then I'll take photo's and then we'll see what they have to say.

Sony, not doing itself proud.

All things being equal I think the product is great, but techies that don't know about the product they are supporting p*** me off.

If, by any chance anyone from Sony reads this, then just remember where you heard the leaking story first, beacuse there will be more of them. Probably mine in a few days....

G.

kee-lo_

I just hope they're right :pray:
They're not cheap, and they're really good media machines!

feederfan
Visitor

If it had have leaked i think the motherboard would have fried by now anyway! they are very intolerant of water! I dont dare try water cooling on my desktop, ive already destroyed a GFX card and a Motherboard without the aid of water....

kee-lo_

If it had have leaked i think the motherboard would have fried by now anyway!

Good point FF.

ive already destroyed a GFX card and a Motherboard without the aid of water....

I did have a motherboard die, no idea why, a piece fell off it - then again the cooler was dying, might explain it!