Join now - be part of our community!

RA-204 leaking water???

ognils
Visitor

RA-204 leaking water???

Here's an interesting one....
I have only just taken delivery of an RA-204. Somewhere in the sales blurb I read about some sort of liquid cooling which reduces the ambient noise of the power supply/processor fans.
The PC has been left on for the past three or four days, but last night, knowing I was going to be out all day today, I switched it off.
My wife called me in a panic this afternoon because there was water all over the floor and it appeared to be coming from the PC.
When I got home I checked the PC inside and out and could find no trace of a leak or indeed any water anywhere within the PC, yet there had been a large pubble on the floor which was also direcly under the PC.
Given the radical design of the PC is it possible that this liquid has leaked from the cooling system? or another thought is that the PC has condensed the water from the surrounding air rather like a cars air-con. This may be possible as I had the side of the PC up tight to the side of the desk possibly restricting air flow.
So, anyone had anything similar? Can anyone shed any light on this at all?
By the way, the PC is working fine.
G.

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

If you think that there has been coolant leakage then you should phone Vaio-Link tomorrow morning to arrange to have the computer looked at. Better to be safe than sorry - it's an expensive thing to take risks with.

ognils
Visitor

I will call them for sure. But I can't understand where all the water has come from. Wierd?
G.

kee-lo_

I've often thought about this - can it leak? Looks like the answer's yes...

Was the case wet?

As Rob said call VAIO-Link and have it seen to, also check that there are no leaking pipes around the area, it might well be a central heating issue rather than the PC.

Worrying isn't it? :worried:

ognils
Visitor

Nothing is wet in the PC, although the processor is hidden under the PSU, so I can't be sure.
Its not my central heating for sure. Although I did think this myself when my wife called me and told me.
The more I think about it the more I think that the proximity to the desk stiffled the air flow and maybe caused condensation. That said, its still a mystery and I can't wait to explain myself to the techy people tomorrow.
Thanks.
G.

kee-lo_

I have left plenty of space for my RA104 to breathe, it's very important.

Seems a bit strange if the PC wasn't wet at all.
I am really hoping this is some wierd coincidence that has nothing to do with the PC.
(Not that it's good either way for you, sorry)

ognils
Visitor

Mine's now sitting on the desk. I'm looking hard for drips!
Fingers crossed I don't see any.
Thanks.
G.

kee-lo_

Good luck

ognils
Visitor

No more water today! There's probably none left to leak.
Or, according to Vaio-Link, "We don't make any water cooled computers, as the price runs to £1000's". I clarified myself and re-phrased the statement to use the word "liquid" instead of water. Same response.
When I read the tech spec to them I was met with astonishement and "we don't know anything about that".

Just for everyone's info this is an extract from the Sony sales literature:

"The new Sony VAIO RA204 is the ultimate in cutting edge design and superior performance. Its industrial black design houses two unique technological innovations - an advanced liquid cooling system and enhanced acoustic technologies. Its unique liquid-flow heat pipe draws heat away from the processor to cool it down more efficiently."

My Vaio's running fine at the moment. No sign of water/condensation. No warning beeps, no adverse signs at all.

Maybe santa dropped in and had a pee on it while I was out! If so what has he got aginst Sony?

G.

robpaxton
Explorer

You haven't got a dog have you? :laughing:

Nice to hear that Sony Support are fully up to date on their machine specifications. Did you tell them the price did run into 1000's? :wink: