Join now - be part of our community!

PCV-V1 PC card slot

PCV-V1 PC card slot

Dear reader

I have recently bought my computer primarily for programming purposes. However, prior to purchasing it, I asked a shop salesman whether the left/right audio and video phono jacks were IN's or OUT's. "Out's" he replied.:smileyhappy:

Alas, I soon discovered upon reading the instructions that they are in fact IN's :slight_frown: (let this be a lesson to us all) and I will not therefore be able to take the audio to my Hi-Fi and picture (from DVD's for example) to my TV (bigger picture than computers), which is what I had been planning to do:smileysad: .

I was told today however, that it may still be possible by using the PC card slot:smileyhappy: . Is this true?, and if so, how would I go about setting it up?

Thank you

Robbie

13 REPLIES 13
reaper
Visitor

hi robbie

you should buy a really good sound card such as creative adudigy 2 zs platium

live and other creative cards are also good

you can also get really good external sound cards,, which would just connect via a usb port

just check out the specs on certain sound cards like the one above has so many ins and outs its just stupid

regards ben

Dear Ben,

Thank you for your prompt reply; it was very much appreciated.

You have mentioned that I should be able to take the audio portion of a DVD feed (for example) out of the computer:smileyhappy: , but what about the video portion?

Regards

Robbie

reaper
Visitor

hi robbie by out of the computer what exactly do you mean by that

reaper
Visitor

yo dude i read your msg again closely

i gather by out of the computer you mean onto a tv screen

i dont know what graphics card came with your vaio but you should have an s-video connection and a wire that came with your vaio which has a s-video and a video comp

you then need to buy a video comp wire and connect it to your tv video comp

i think :smileyd_oh:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

How about getting a TV capture card which can capture audio and video, which connects to USB2/Firewire?

Hello again. Sorry about the delayed response.

Yes, by "out", I am referring to terminals which take a signal OUT of the computer to another object, ie t.v., hi-fi etc.

I do have an s-video terminal, but it is an IN, ie takes a signal INto the computer; clearly this is the reverse of what I am looking for.

Here is a list of the terminals I have:

1. Left/right audio IN
2. s-video IN
3. vhf/uhf antenna IN
4. Headphones OUT
5. line IN
6. Microphone IN
7. Modem port (IN?)
8. 4-pin i-link port (IN/OUT?)
9. ethernet network port
10. 4 No. USB 2.0 ports (IN/OUT)
11. Memory stick slot
12. PC Card slot

Is this of any help?

Regards

Robbie

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The iLink port is obviously going to be useful to you for outputting to DV after editing.

As for sound out, use the headphone socket.

As for video out, this is going to be a problem.

Great.:smileycry:

reaper
Visitor

hi
robbie is your graphics card the nvidia -geforce fx -5200 graphics chip with 128mb ddr sdram

if so you should be able to do what i said with the video comp -wire

try it and see if it works .......

if it came with a little --svideo wire -connected to a little yellow comp connection

if so --thats --what --you -are ----meant -to -use ---------