Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-K115M LCD screen flickers+need help to reinstall drivers

odeSSa
Visitor

PCG-K115M LCD screen flickers+need help to reinstall drivers

Hello,
I have had my PCG-K115M for about 5 months now. Recently the display seems to flicker, i.e go darker then return to normal really quicky and this seems to happen at random. Also, on the lower brightness settings it seems to be not as much of a problem, compared to being set on the highest brighness setting. I have also noticed that when i am running a full screen program, such as a game, then it will hardly ever flicker. It happens most when i am on the desktop or am just browsing the net.
Any one else had this problem or know how to solve it?

I thought that it would be a good idea to re-install the original drivers for the LCD screen, which i downloaded from the vaio-link site. It was the "original drivers package" for the PCG-K115M. I downloaded the file, K1_Drivers.zip (32.5MB), but when i unzipped it and opened the folder, LCD_inf, (where the drivers for the LCD screen are), there were 5 files which i don't know what to do with to reinstall the drivers. Any one know how to install these drivers?

Thanks for any help on these matters.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Right click the inf file and click install.
Or else go to Device Manager (right click my computer, properties, hardware)
Right click the display and click on install.
Browse for the inf file and install it like this.

TygerTyger
Visitor

In every screen flicker case I've heard about it's been down to faulty hardware not software. Do the driver thing by all means, but I would imagine that you will have to send it in for repair.

kee-lo_

Yeah the K series have had a few reports.

See how this driver goes...

odeSSa
Visitor

Thanks for the advice, i will try the drivers and see if it it changes anything.

TygerTyger
Visitor

I can say with authority that it's not the driver, because my K-series is in for repair right now for amongst other things, a flickering screen. Which requires the replacement of the 'Power board' whatever that may be.

odeSSa
Visitor

Thanks, that will save me some hassle. It isn't that bad since it seems to flicker for a while then retur to normal. If it does get worse, then it will probably send it for repairs.
Do u know what makes it worse (if it will get worse)? Is there anything else that might shed some more light on this for me?
Thanks very much

robpaxton
Explorer

The flickering screen could be caused by a faulty backlight, faulty inverter, or faulty power board/supply. You should get it repaired under warranty ASAP as the problem will not go away by itself.

kee-lo_

The flickering screen could be caused by a faulty backlight, faulty inverter, or faulty power board/supply.  You should get it repaired under warranty ASAP as the problem will not go away by itself.

I have to agree with Rob, if you have tried these drivers and nothing has changed call VAIO-Link.

Nwelch
Visitor

I Have the Sony PCG-K115S and I have exactly the same problem, ever since iv had the laptop its been flickering like mad, especially when opening and closing the lid, I called up sony and they sent it away for me, all the way to France and they still didnt fix the problem, I got a phone call saying they couldnt find anything wrong with it! After recieving it back its worse than ever.
I dont want to have to send it away again, but at the same time I dont want to have to put up with this problem, I havent even finished paying for the laptop yet. Even if I do send it away again, their is no gurantee that they will bother looking properly, would there be like a chance of me being able to take it into a repair centre and actually PROVING it to them!?

Argh, hell or wat.