Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-7V1M Video Problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

PCG-7V1M Video Problem

Hiya guys

One of my laptops appears to have developed a video chip/card problem.  The model number is PCG-7V1M

It works fine when I first switch it on and it's cold, but after it's been on for about 10 minutes the screen starts to develop lines and random blocks of colours to the point where it becomes unusable.  At this point if I switch it off and back on again, the display still has problems, even at the initial BIOS boot up screen.

Any advice, is this a known problem ?, any idea how much it would cost to fix it ?, just wondering if it's worth it or not.

Thanks

Faith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Faith - Happy New Year!

This sounds like the dreaded nVidia chip problem: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/solutions/35880

I am guessing this is your old VGN-FE31Z, which has the nVidia GeForce Go 7600 chip and is unfortunately not on Sony's list of affected models.  It will be older than 4 years anyway.

In most cases the problem is with the solder used to attach the chip to the motherboard.  Some repairers offer a "REFLOW" repair - try Google.  Try to find one that guarantees the repair.

It would not be economically worth replacing the motherboard as this would cost more than a new laptop.

See Ya Soon.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Faith - Happy New Year!

This sounds like the dreaded nVidia chip problem: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/solutions/35880

I am guessing this is your old VGN-FE31Z, which has the nVidia GeForce Go 7600 chip and is unfortunately not on Sony's list of affected models.  It will be older than 4 years anyway.

In most cases the problem is with the solder used to attach the chip to the motherboard.  Some repairers offer a "REFLOW" repair - try Google.  Try to find one that guarantees the repair.

It would not be economically worth replacing the motherboard as this would cost more than a new laptop.

See Ya Soon.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

Thank you so much for that Blencogo. I thought as much, I think it's off to laptop heaven for this old boy :wink:

And happy new year to you too :slight_smile: