Join now - be part of our community!

Old but too good to throw away

profile.country.en_GB.title
careyclose
Explorer

Old but too good to throw away

Hi everyone, now here is a challenge. I have a Sony Vaio VGC-V2 ( in know it is old) that has just been rescued from the bin. Some weeks ago the screen suddenly had black bands down each side. Checked the device manager and it showed the navidia whatever had a yellow marker. It actually told me to download a compatible driver. Unfortunately that didn't cure the problem. So I thought perhaps I had picked up a virus and as we had a newer vaio desktop I could do a full recovery and start again. Backed up all my files and started with the discs I had made when I first got this computer. I had two discs and it told me to load the second disc, it started to do the recovery. When it got to 51% it ejected the disc and told me to load a bootable disc, I didn't have one.(They had stopped supplying the disc with the computer by then) At this point nothing would happen. I had a Windows 7 upgrade disc that I used when I had a laptop with Vista on it so I thought nothing ventired nothing gained and put the disc in an low and behold it loaded the windows 7 and booted up. Unfortunately I didn't have any of the programs that came with the computer and which I assumed I had on the recovery discs??? I am louth to throw this away if there is any chance of getting hold of the original discs, perhaps from Sony because it had some really useful programs that I don't have on my new vaio. What would happen if I used my recovery discs, would that work? If I can get it back I will consider repairing the screen problem. What is so annoying is a lot of my old software will not work with Windows 7 64Bt and I could run TV freeview through and record and the sound recording system was fantastic. Sorry for this being so long but I know you clever guys need all the information. The question is what can I do and not do???

Thanks

Update, problem solved. Managed to do a full recovery after loading windows & upgrade (Boootable disc) Everything is back to normal as if I had just taken it out of the box.

Message was edited by: careyclose

0 REPLIES 0