Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

6800gt
Visitor

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

I just wonder if anyone has the alleged graphic problem with your vaio series. I got AR51J with 8400m GT early this year. So far it works fine, but not sure it would die shortly :slight_frown: :smileysad:. What's the sony's response?

origin story: All Nvidia G84 and G86s are bad
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

Channel Vendors Demand Graphics Cards Suppliers to Recall Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Cards.
Resellers Want to Return Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Boards to Makers
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080725123120_Channel_Vendors_Demand_Graphics_Cards_Supp...

347 REPLIES 347
profile.country.en_GB.title
loschunk
Visitor

my fz-21s is with vaio now for the 2nd time in 12 months, thing nearly burned my legs off on both occasions before quitting, last time they replaced the mobo, i dont want it back tbh :/....

SLKDoug
Visitor

In the UK consumer law says within a reasonable life of a product you are entitled to a repair at a reasonable cost. Electric goods are generally 5 years. Reasonable cost is NOT almost the cost of the computer- you are entitled to expect it to be durable - ie in normal use it should last 5 years. Post here for more help/info -http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk. Also you could threaten them with a small claims court action to enforce this position.

jonaas
Visitor

Like in sweden then, after no help from sony (offering expensive repair) i went to my vendor, and after a while they took the decision that it wasn't my fault and they exchanged the motherboard without any cost..
Good luck!

Keloo
Visitor

Hello to all!

I am having a big problem with my VGN-SZ5XN right now. :slight_frown: I think my nVidia GeForce Go 7400 crashed. On "speed mode" I see some red and green dashed lines on the screen when I switch it on and it doesn't want to log into the operating system. On "stamina mode" is working but, of course, slowly and not so nice quality as it was working before, while using the nVidia GeForce.
Before crashing, the computer was getting very hot on the left side and making a lot of noise. I found a Sony Service Centre where I live but they told me they don't offer assistance for vaio products but only for TVs and other stuff, so I didn't really know what to do then.
Could anybody, please, help me with some advices and info about the warranty? Because I got the notebook from Funchal, Portugal on August 2007 and I am from Romania (still living here). I have the invoice. It's still available the warranty anymore? I remember I've read then that in some countries it's warranted for 2 years but in some other countries just for 1 year.

Thank you!

profile.country.en_PT.title
bruferre1
Visitor

Hya all!

It's good to know that i'm not the only one with this damn stupid problem

About 1 year and a half i got this laptop as a gift (VGN-AR51E with NVidia GF 8400M GT GPU).
And so far i got 2 of the problems stated in this thread.

1st case:
About 6 months after i get it, laptop starting to show signs of over heat that i did not paid much of atention, as another user said, laptop over heats extremely on the upper right area of the laptop and it's barely untouchble without it almost burning you, and the bottom of the laptop would also be like that in the same region.

2nd case:
After a while, and this is why i'm posting it here, for just one single time, the pc, out of nowhere, totally started destroying the graphics, rebooting a few minutes later... after that one time, the computer stopped working as soon as windows was starting to boot. A few seconds after boot started, graphics of loader would just become mixed, and it would reboot.

I'm using the same laptop right now... but the reason why i'm able to, is beacuse the graphic card drivers are deactivated, so... as long as i don't have my graphics card active, i can use it... but I can't do anything besides viewing webpages and doing stuff that don't require graphics.

I have tried every single thing in order to revive it, reinstall drivers... format pc and make clean install of vista withouth VAIO stuff and with VAIO stuff, and tried loads of stuff, so VAIO won't be pushing me around telling me to do needless stuff, besides
my laptop is still under the warranty, so I'm going to try and get it fixed with VAIO support

After i get an answer from them, I'll post it here, so that we can see, if VAIO is framing Vaios that are not under warranty, or both.

In which case, i think VAIO is failling a lot on the delivery of computers that the name SONY recives so much credit for...

I'll keep updating situation.

herrZEBA
Visitor

Hi there Chanandler and everyone else! I have exactly the same problem as Chanandler - my screen looks identically. I have Sorry Vaio VGN FZ21s. I bought it in Ireland with guarantee only for a year. That was a year and half ago. I figure they just produce it in order to survive the guarantee period and shortly after than faulty chip takes control and doom.

I'm just so upset! I paid like 1500 euro for this machine and expected to last much more. Sony must know for sure about it and they just ignore it completely. What am I supposed to do now? I can't afford service or a new one and it's not my fault it doesn't work.

I managed after 5 days to get it working. Set power options to saver - worked yesterday, so-so, today it's the same story again. Blue lines and stuff.

The service should exchange it for free with these circumstances. How long Sony can get away with this?

I want justice.

Sebastian
www.sebastianjaster.com

Vaioz0r
Visitor

Same issue here, guys.
Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT overheating and video chip probably burnt to a crisp, computer only working without video drivers (which means not using video chip at all) luckily within guarantee coverage time, so at least I'll have my computer as it was. If Sony doesn't fix the issue once and for all, its a goodbye to sony from me too.
Did any of you notice they don't even give an installation dvd for recovery and stuff?Is a lousy hidden partition all we deserve for purchasing a Sony?
Well, I own 4 videogame shops and have many connections. If I don't get my laptop fixed you can be sure people will hear me about it.
Which gives me the idea this lack of assistance was good enough to be the way to get 10 and lose 10.000.

:devil:

Info and contacts : cablooie@email.it

horrok
Visitor

Hello all. I also have a VAIO VGNFZ21z which has this exact problem.
I got the burning hot laptop followed by distorted display then blue screen of death that so many of you have described.

It's one month out of warranty so I logged a call ref: 3924568 with Sony support.
Same story, pretned they don't know of an issue and charge me £223 plus parts (new mainboard most likely).

This problem clearly DOES affect VAIO laptops!!!

We should get together a list of serial numbers and case reference numbers and present them to Sony a one case.

Dan.byrne@blueyonder.co.uk

tusso
Visitor

Say me "welcometo the club!" :smileygrin:
after few weeks of "egg-cooking temperature" this is the result.

It's a VAIO VGN-FZ21M...
I'm under warranty but once repaired I'll sell it!
no vaio anymooore

Tusso

horrok
Visitor

Hi all. There is a 'kind of' work around so that you don't have use your VAIO as a doorstop.

If you boot in safe mode(F8), go to device manager and disable the Nvidia 8600M you can then reboot and get internet access etc.

You wont be able to do anything that needs more than basic graphics because you will no longer be using the GPU, but a least you can get to your email/spread sheets etc.

This is obviously far from satisfactory but its better than having a £900 brick!

This also proves beyond a doubt that the problem IS the Nvidia GPU!!

CAN WE HAVE AN OFFICIAL REPLY ON THIS SONY??????