Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

6800gt
Visitor

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

I just wonder if anyone has the alleged graphic problem with your vaio series. I got AR51J with 8400m GT early this year. So far it works fine, but not sure it would die shortly :slight_frown: :smileysad:. What's the sony's response?

origin story: All Nvidia G84 and G86s are bad
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

Channel Vendors Demand Graphics Cards Suppliers to Recall Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Cards.
Resellers Want to Return Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Boards to Makers
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080725123120_Channel_Vendors_Demand_Graphics_Cards_Supp...

347 REPLIES 347
jonaas
Visitor

Hi, Gary aka "ScuderiaConchiglia" on the notebookreview forum wanted my to post this here:

"I think we need to coordinate our efforts here a bit more. I suggest than all of of you who have had this failure contact Sony one more time and get a case number for the first call you made on this issue and the date. If that is NOT available, then place your claim again and get the case number, date and time the case is being opened and the name of the customer service rep. Then let's compile an actual list of those cases. Armed with that sort of documentation we might be able to garner some interest from Sony or a good class action lawyer. Fighting this battle one on one has and is getting us no where. A single unified front is our only chance of pushing this forward.

I suggest that once we have a list of users and case numbers we enlist the author of the inquirer articles and see if he will help take our case to Sony directly.

Gary
"

And we have posted the details like this:

Name:

Vaio model:

Case#: 000000

Rep name:

First contact:

Latest contact:

Think a joint effort would help us get Sony's attention on this problem, and it may also be helpful for Sony to get a better idea of how big this issue is..

Wiaterek
Visitor

Update: my beloved Vaio is still (another week) waiting for lvcd cable in Vaio Rapair Center. :angry:
They insist that it is the lvcd cable that is faulty...

I am really afraid that when they get the calbe at last it will turn out that the problem still exists.... and as a result the repair will last endlessly... or I will have to send Vaio to Repair Center again :smileyfrustrated:

staby123
Visitor

Mark Me down as one off those with Faulty/Fried G84M on a FZ18E.

AbleDanger
Visitor

Welcome to the club, staby!
What brand is your new laptop going to be? I'm going for a HP.

staby123
Visitor

Thank you abledanger.

I have a HP already, great machine, & far greater battery life towards the vaio, which wouldn't be hard.

I'll give Sony a call here in Ireland in the morning and see what they say to me..
And I'll post back ASAP...

Did you get yours sorted?
Again, Thanks for the reply..

Regards.

James

staby123
Visitor

Just spent 20 mins on phone explaining what has happened..

They are not aware off this happening, hehe.

Offered me to collect it for 150 bucks, for a diagnostics test, which would only confirm what I already know.

I kept this Lappy clean, OS's trimed, I have all my files on a server and I used a Laptop cooler.

I'm currently an IT Support Student, I have my A+, Network +, etc.
I have 2 servers in my house, a macbook, a HP Lappy and this Vaio which I will now use for parts, I'm not even going to buy a replacement MOBO for it, if it was a DVD Drive etc, I would not even bother using support and I would fix it myself, though this is a big issue and a machine shouldn't go fully kaput after only a year. I still have my ZX81 and that bloddy still works and it is nearly 30 years old.

Adios VAIO....

(I am letting myself be heard, after paying €1100 16 months ago, I think I am entitled)...

AbleDanger
Visitor

Did you get a case#?
As you can see on the top of this page we are trying to compile a list of all known cases to make it easier to put some pressure on Sony.

Suburbanlegend
Visitor

My AR41S (Bought in August 2007)with 8600M GT has just died this morning.

1 Long beep and 2 short beeps - (which indicates VGA Failure)

Case Number: 3634645

I'm out of warranty. They want to charge £200 for diagnostics and then they said it'll probably another £380 to replace the GPU. Doubt this includes VAT too.

I said I'm not gonna take them up and wait. I called again and they said the official word is that the $ONY VAIO do not suffer from the faulty G86 range, but they didn't know if it's a different type of chip or due to the type of cooling it uses. That doesn't really fill me with confidence. It seems that they are avoiding the issue. Apparently they haven't had many calls about the issue.

Maybe the cooling is better in VAIO laptops, but maybe it just delays the invetiable. I'm hoping that $ONY will knowledge that there is a problem as it does seem to have affected a number of users. Hopefully we can all group information together.

jonaas
Visitor

Hi, thought I would post an update on my case.
I've now spoken with Sony many times, the last time they told me that they would take this higher, make a decision and call me back. Sony called me today and simply said that they now made the decision to not repair my computer for free, they were aware about the similar issues that Hp and Dell users had, but they still won't repair it.
So bye to Sony, won't buy another product from them again.

On the other hand, my computer is still for a check-up where i bought the computer, either they will say that the fault is mine or they will repair it without cost. This because in Sweden we have a 2 year manufacturers warranty. We'll see..

Des_a
Visitor

Recently burnt video on a notebook Sony FZ21SR, a laptop is very warming up recently. Replaced under warranty, now I'm afraid as it again became a strong warm