Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

6800gt
Visitor

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

I just wonder if anyone has the alleged graphic problem with your vaio series. I got AR51J with 8400m GT early this year. So far it works fine, but not sure it would die shortly :slight_frown: :smileysad:. What's the sony's response?

origin story: All Nvidia G84 and G86s are bad
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

Channel Vendors Demand Graphics Cards Suppliers to Recall Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Cards.
Resellers Want to Return Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Boards to Makers
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080725123120_Channel_Vendors_Demand_Graphics_Cards_Supp...

347 REPLIES 347
Chanandler
Visitor

This is what I now get after a while when trying to do anything 'graphically' intensive:

And then the laptop freezes, I remove the battery / power cable and then when it reboots, this happens:

Followed by this:

Is this the same sort of thing that most of you others are getting?

Hi, 
I have a major fault with my Sony Vaio FZ11S. There are two scenario of the problem.
First is that I noticed blue dotted lines appearing during BIOS and the Vista start screen. Once vista startup I can't see anything on screen but the blue dotted lines with black background.
Another scenario is Visata starts normally, but after few minutes of Vista starting the LCD screen goes Black and nothing happens afterwards and I need to reboot the laptop forcefully.
This issue is raising from couples of days, I have also done full system recovery and updates the drivers but the problem still persists.
The reason I can spot for this issue is faulty NVIDIA graphics card. It may be because of overheating problem of my laptop. The laptop become burning hot sometime even after 15 min. of use of it. I have already reported my concern for it in last two times when my laptop have been repaired by Sony support centre. Even I guess the overheating is the main cause of last two problem which occured with my laptop of LCD blinking(inverter fault).
However my 1 year warranty period expired in Aug this year, can I still ask Sony people to repair it for free as I already got 2 faults in warranty period and now the third one. It looks the unit is faulty one which they given to me.

Sounds almost identical to the problem i am suffering with my Vaio. Waiting for the Peeps at the Service to give me a call. I am feeling quite bruised. My vaio gave at 1 year 6 weeks of loyal service, my last laptop lasted 9 years (and still works).

8 am received a call from the service centre. Told that they would charge £200 just to pick up my laptop and that any problem would cost substantially more to fix. As i am out of work and I cannot afford this at this time. I am feeling very unhappy about my treatment, next stop a word with Trading Standards.

jonaas
Visitor

Hi, i own a VGN-FZ21M and i almost have the exact same problem as you. Suddenly strange lines appeared in windows. Computer freezed and i would not start, go the same alternatives as in your picture. Didnt find any software problem at all, formatted/reinstalled the computer, still the same problem.
My warranty expired a month ago..
What to do? Will sony really just ignore this obvious problem and just charge me for the pick-up and repair?

edit: (links to how my computer looks)
found these screens in the notebookreview forum, my computer looks exactly the same way..
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=268277

sorry about the huge pictures i attatched, don't know how to delete them. if a mod wants to, please feel free to do so.

cheers

jonaas
Visitor

By the way, i talked with sony-sweden today, i just got the option to ship the laptop, replace the defect parts and pay 8000:- swedish kronor.
i called three times to find someone who was willing to take a deeper look at this problem, talked to a nice guy but he didn't recognize my problem at all, he searched their database and could not find anything concerning this.
although he said that he would check with "their support" and get back to me.

these problems can't be a coincidence i mean over at laptopreview there are several persons with the same problem, photos posted looks identical to how my computer looks.
i just feel like sony is completely ignoring this, either that or they don't log whats being said in conversations with customers.

til now i only had good things to say about sony and their ways to handle problems, but now i don't know. i know i have to wait and see, these things can take time, but they will lose me as customer for life if this doesn't get solved.

i just want someone to take this seriously, to believe me.. i'm a university student and is depending on my computer in my studies, can't really afford to pay for the repair and can't afford not having a computer.

what to do?

keeping my fingers crossed though!

AbleDanger
Visitor

This is what my Vaio VGN-FZ11S looks like. Problem first occurred one month out of warranty. No interest from Sony in fixing it unless I pay ~5000SEK

jonaas
Visitor

The images above are similar to how my computer looks. This is no doubt a gpu failure in some form.

By the way, no news on my part, still haven't heard anything from Sony. I will give them a call later today if they don't call me.

jonaas
Visitor

A minor update:
The computer suddenly started to work, lasted a couple of hours then it crashed again. Now it's back to the same state as before, windows only works in safe-mode.
Here's my own pictures of how it looks: http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n42/jonaaas/VAIO/

Wiaterek
Visitor

There is no doubt that the faulty graphic chip happened to Vaio! :devil:

Unfortunately, I have all the same blue screens, artefacts and crashes -the same problem with the graphic card- on my Vaio VGN FZ11Z (nVidia 8400 GT) . I have even the same code number in blue screen reports as the ones in the pictures above (stop 0x00000124 -hardware problem).

It started a few days ago. During intensive working (editing a picture in graphic program) my Vaio froze suddenly. Freezing lasted 20-30 minutes and resulted in a blue screen. This scheme occurs irregularly- sometimes Vaio works 4-5 hours without any problem, sometimes 5 minutes only -then the Windows Vista can not start at all for a few hours. Vaio must become cool to start system properly. Full recovery of my Vaio and all updates installed from Microsoft and Sony Vaio websites had not helped at all. :slight_frown:

Now I can do nothing on my Vaio as it freezes and restarts all the time no matter what I do... When I am lucky and Windows Vista starts I still can do nothing because of all these artefacts and lines on my screen (they happen even on blue screens). :devil:

Here are pictures of my Vaio display:

In the morning I am going to call Vaio Link... :slight_frown:

Wiaterek
Visitor

My beloved Vaio should be sent off to Vaio service tomorrow. If the courier gets in time...

The Sony consultant ensured that they do not have similar cases...