Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

6800gt
Visitor

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

I just wonder if anyone has the alleged graphic problem with your vaio series. I got AR51J with 8400m GT early this year. So far it works fine, but not sure it would die shortly :slight_frown: :smileysad:. What's the sony's response?

origin story: All Nvidia G84 and G86s are bad
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

Channel Vendors Demand Graphics Cards Suppliers to Recall Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Cards.
Resellers Want to Return Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Boards to Makers
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080725123120_Channel_Vendors_Demand_Graphics_Cards_Supp...

347 REPLIES 347
Chanandler
Visitor

You may as well put it to some good use.
As per previous post use it as a George Foreman grill

Lol, and it's the healthiest way of cooking sausages according to the advert so everyone's a winner :slight_smile:

lowthjo
Visitor

hi i am based in ireland and purchased a VGN-FZ38M around march 15th 08,
my laptop has the 8400M GT gpu, and the temp as i type now is at 59 deg Celcius, ( used CPUID to measure temp)...

am i affected by this problem?

any ideas? also what is the duration of the sony warranty?
cheers

Ruu
Visitor

hi i am based in ireland and purchased a VGN-FZ38M around march 15th 08,
my laptop has the 8400M GT gpu, and the temp as i type now is at 59 deg Celcius, ( used CPUID to measure temp)...

am i affected by this problem?

any ideas? also what is the duration of the sony warranty?
cheers

I'm more of a desktop man myself and i know that a grahpics card in a a desktop, with all that ventilation and room should run at about 45 degrees idle and about 60 degrees active.

Bearing in mind the lack of ventialtion and confined spaces in a laptop, i would personally be happy and definately not concerned at 59 degrees.

I myself have been in contact woth VAIO about my 89 degree cooker and they assured me that is was nmothing to do with Nvidia's recall as it does not effect VAIO's.

Historically speaking, Sony have never shyed away from a recall when it's they're fault. Why would they shy away if it was someone elses.

Despite my other thread, i'm happy with the responce given but i'll let you know what the engineers report is whern i get my machine back

alekoo8
Explorer

Hi everyone,

My 2 week old Vaio AR71ZU developed a fault after 2 days (full Vaio and Vista update) and couldn't detect my wireless network. I took it to Starbucks and it couldn't detect theirs either. I didn't have any data on it and did a full restore. Eventually after all the updates it could see the wireless network. SO, i am alarmed to read the 2nd post about HP machines equiped with nVidia G84m/86m GPU's not seeing Wireless Networks and having other problems.

Has anyone else with an AR71ZU installed Vista SP1 over the weekend and it'd knocked out their Wireless Radio? No matter what i did it couldn't initialise. Bluetooth was ok and i had to perform a system restore to get Wireless back.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but it's sort of related.

Thanking you in-advance.

Ruu
Visitor

I've heard of this before, but inot on the AR series.

Try this...

http://support.vaio.sony.ie/downloads/info/info.asp?site=voe_en_IE_cons&url=VAIO/Updates/EP000014573...)

it's not for the AR series, but i'd try it

Ruu

alekoo8
Explorer

Thanks RUU. Things have been a little mental and i've not had a chance to login for a few days - Vista Updates are bugging me and now i have some freetime i am going to attempt updating to SP1. Thanks for the link, i have already downloaded the Wireless LAN update. Fingers crossed it'll work.

BUT, getting back on subject, everyone was telling me i should try Crysis on my laptop AND overclock it using RivaTuner. Out of curiousity i'd installed both, but wasn't brave enough to overclock the GPU. The issue of the GPU cooking at stock MHz is a major concern. Some guys are overclocking their GPU's for a huge performance increase and getting 90-odd degrees which is plain mental.

On a positive note I did find out the 8600m GT GPU has 512Mb DDR3. I've connected my AR71ZU to our LCD telly (D-Sub) and it runs great - External Display Detection only sometimes detects the telly though. On-going issues are Media Center and the 'dropping frames' saga and also how to record in 1080 resolution to Blu-Ray/Hard Drive.

Hope i can get back on-line without having to do a system restore. Many thanks again.

alekoo8
Explorer

Well i am stumped. I'd downloaded the Wireless drivers and did the Vista SP1 update. When i came back the machine all was ok and the tell-tale green WLAN lamp was lit. Huh?

It's fine though as i have connectivity! Woo hoo! Many thanks Ruu.

kapilbatham
Visitor

Hi,
I have a major fault with my Sony Vaio FZ11S. There are two scenario of the problem.
First is that I noticed blue dotted lines appearing during BIOS and the Vista start screen. Once vista startup I can't see anything on screen but the blue dotted lines with black background.
Another scenario is Visata starts normally, but after few minutes of Vista starting the LCD screen goes Black and nothing happens afterwards and I need to reboot the laptop forcefully.
This issue is raising from couples of days, I have also done full system recovery and updates the drivers but the problem still persists.
The reason I can spot for this issue is faulty NVIDIA graphics card. It may be because of overheating problem of my laptop. The laptop become burning hot sometime even after 15 min. of use of it. I have already reported my concern for it in last two times when my laptop have been repaired by Sony support centre. Even I guess the overheating is the main cause of last two problem which occured with my laptop of LCD blinking(inverter fault).
However my 1 year warranty period expired in Aug this year, can I still ask Sony people to repair it for free as I already got 2 faults in warranty period and now the third one. It looks the unit is faulty one which they given to me.

lui6891
Visitor

My Sony VGN-FZ11S died yesterday as well and it two months out of warranty.it has the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT and as it looks its being the next victim.paid £800 for it when it first got out thinkin its a sony what can go bad :(.
it does not start at all no led flash nothing.
Sonyyy please fix my laptop somehow.

Anybody got any idea how this can be fixed or what to do??

Regards

kapilbatham
Visitor

Sony People are charging very high for the repair £200 just for inspection and handling. They said to me motherboard probably need to be changed which cost £500-700. This is fully rubbish how can they do like this.

Anyhow I have sent my laptop to a laptop repair centre in London and they claim to repair the chip without replacing motherboard in £149 + VAT. Let see what they do now with my mindblowing Sony Vaio. :devil: