Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

6800gt
Visitor

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

I just wonder if anyone has the alleged graphic problem with your vaio series. I got AR51J with 8400m GT early this year. So far it works fine, but not sure it would die shortly :slight_frown: :smileysad:. What's the sony's response?

origin story: All Nvidia G84 and G86s are bad
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

Channel Vendors Demand Graphics Cards Suppliers to Recall Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Cards.
Resellers Want to Return Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Boards to Makers
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080725123120_Channel_Vendors_Demand_Graphics_Cards_Supp...

347 REPLIES 347
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Chanandler,

You would probably be better starting your own thread on this topic - it really has nothing to do with the subject in this thread's title so any member who may be interested in your topic is not going to find your post.

:slight_frown:

Chanandler
Visitor

It seemed pretty pertinent to me as one of the 'features' of this great graphics chip is that it overheats!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Suit yourself but no-one else with a general overheating problem is likely to find your post here.

:smileythinking:

profile.country.pt_PT.title
luisarn
Explorer

Hi Chanandler,

About the VAIO FZ temperature you can take a look at the following thread from our friends at notebookreview.com: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=273654

I guess your temperature is a bit higher than average maybe the fan grill is covered by dust already.

There's nothing you can do besides cleaning it. If your computer is still in warranty, you don't need to worry because if anything bad happens to your GPU, SONY will fix it. :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_IE.title
sonypass33
Visitor

you don't need to worry because if anything bad happens to your GPU, SONY will fix it.  :slight_smile:

What if something happens to your house like it burns to the ground.
It seems this issue is not being dealt with in a satisfactory manner by sony.
When dell had a problem with their batteries going on fire they did a full recall (in the millions) and replace.
I hope no-one gets hurt while the cost/benifit analysis is going on.

profile.country.pt_PT.title
luisarn
Explorer

you don't need to worry because if anything bad happens to your GPU, SONY will fix it.  :slight_smile:

What if something happens to your house like it burns to the ground.
It seems this issue is not being dealt with in a satisfactory manner by sony.
When dell had a problem with their batteries going on fire they did a full recall (in the millions) and replace.
I hope no-one gets hurt while the cost/benifit analysis is going on.

Sony also recalled the defective batteries, a simple google search can prove it.
They also recalled my PS2 AC Adapter when they found problem on it.

Regarding the GPU, we don't have any case that it will lead to fire and we even don't know if the Sony laptops are affected or not.

Do you know at what temperature the GPU will melt? :smileygrin:

I had my old desktop with a NVIDIA GF6600 and when I play games, it will raise up to 140ºC.

sonypass33
Visitor

Yeap, I know Sony recalled their batteries, in fact I think most of the dell ones were made by sony and it was commendable that they did.
It’s just when you hear, and not for the first time, that the laptop is too hot to touch it’s only a matter of time until there’s a fire. I would advice anyone with a laptop running that hot not to use it and to bring it back for a replacement and NOT a repair.

I also agree some GPU’s can run at well over 100 ºC but all those models are in desktops and have large fans. If my VGN-FZ21S (and I love it) started running at 140 ºC I’d be using it as a George Forman grill.

sonypass33
Visitor

I wonder if it's the same, "irregularly positioned wires near the computer's hinge and/or dislodged screw inside the hinge that can cause a short circuit and overheat", that is causing heat problems here.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080904/tc_nm/sony_recall_dc_3

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Japan's Sony Corp (6758.T) has launched a voluntary recall of 438,000 Vaio portable computers, citing a potential hazard that could cause the machines to overheat or possibly burn a user.

It is one of the biggest computer recalls since 2006 when Dell Inc (DELL.O) recalled 4.1 million notebook computer batteries because they could overheat and catch fire.

Sony's recall affects 72,800 computers in the United States, a Sony spokesman said on Thursday.

Sony received 15 reports of overheating, including one of a consumer who suffered a minor burn, the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission said.

The flaw, in Sony's VGN-TZ100, VGN-TZ200, VGN-TZ300 and VGN-TZ2000 series computers, is related to "irregularly positioned wires near the computer's hinge and/or dislodged screw inside the hinge" that can cause a short circuit and overheat, the agency said.

"This poses a burn hazard to consumers," the agency added. "Sony has initiated a voluntary program to perform a free inspection and, if necessary, a repair to ensure these units meet our high quality standards."

Sony has been dogged in recent years by recalls of laptop computer batteries amid concerns they would overheat and catch fire. In 2006, Dell, Apple Inc (AAPL.O), Lenovo Group Ltd (0992.HK), Toshiba Corp (6502.T) and some other PC makers recalled more than 8 million Sony batteries.

Sony declined to comment on the potential cost it will incur to repair the computers.

Shares of Sony trading in the U.S. (SNE.N) dipped 2.4 percent to $36.75 on the New York Stock Exchange on Thursday afternoon. The shares are down more than 30 percent so far this year.

Chanandler
Visitor

Suit yourself but no-one else with a general overheating problem is likely to find your post here.

:smileythinking:

Thanks for that, most helpful!

Anyway I'm at the point now where I don't really care anymore, the Vaio is now being used to prop up our telephone directories as befit's it's current status and I've got a Macbook Pro being delivered on Monday.

Good luck to anyone else that has this problem, hope that Sony treat you a bit better.

sonypass33
Visitor

You may as well put it to some good use.
As per previous post use it as a George Foreman grill