Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

6800gt
Visitor

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

I just wonder if anyone has the alleged graphic problem with your vaio series. I got AR51J with 8400m GT early this year. So far it works fine, but not sure it would die shortly :slight_frown: :smileysad:. What's the sony's response?

origin story: All Nvidia G84 and G86s are bad
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

Channel Vendors Demand Graphics Cards Suppliers to Recall Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Cards.
Resellers Want to Return Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Boards to Makers
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080725123120_Channel_Vendors_Demand_Graphics_Cards_Supp...

347 REPLIES 347
blaufisk
Visitor

My 16 month old FZ21Z has just failed. Same problem, same graphic artifacts on screen - lots of blue dots and lines etc. Unable to get into windows after reboot even in safe mode.
I decided to try to reinstall back to original factory setting but the PC can not get back into windows without a serious crash(BSOD). So I am unable even to complete reinstallation of windows operating system!!
This machine is only 16 months old and I bought it because I considered as it was a Sony, it would be a quality product, paying a premium for the pleasure!
What can I do ?

John877
Visitor

Same problem here with Sony FZ21Z, purchased Jan 08 so 18 months old. The screen is a series of multicoloured lines and blocks right from boot up. If any one wants pictures let me know and I'll post some.

I have spoken to Sony;

Vaio model: FZ21Z

Case#: 3989350

First contact: 16th June 2009

Latest contact: 16th June 2009

Again, they have told me that they are not aware of any similar problems, but they were very quick to diagnose a graphics chip problem over the phone with me giving only minimal information with regard to the problem. They said they would call me back, which they did, only to tell me that I would need a new motherboard at just over £700.

I have tried starting in safe mode and accessing the bios but this has made no difference; as the screen is unreadable right from boot up I can't see what I'm doing. Luckily I've managed to salvage the contents of my hard drive but the laptop is now useless.

I plan to send a letter of complaint to Sony and NVidia and I will also contact Watchdog....I'll keep you all posted with any progress.

Wiaterek
Visitor

Did you get your laptop back from Sony Repair Centre? What did they do and how much did it cost? Did they replace your motherboard? I am experiencing the same problems with the same white vertical dotted lines on the screen

Hi,
I am sorry chey17, I did not have enough time to reply to your mail earlier.

My Vaio (VGN-FZ11Z, nVidia 8400GT; Vaio was under a four year extended warranty) came back home in January (at last!). It spent a few weeks at Sony Repair Center in Germany. I had to make a lot of phone calls to Sony consultants to get my Vaio back at last. It cost me much time and nerves. All they did during that long period of time was to replace some cable in my Vaio. Naturally, what I was afraid of, I pressed the power button and saw… dots and lines on the screen!!! Again! I could not believe my eyes. Sony consultants assured me that my Vaio was repaired, it was even at quality control department in Germany before sending it to me. I did thought I would have a heart attack. I really needed my laptop and after almost a month-repair I had to send it back again.

That is the way my beloved Vaio was sent to Sony Repair Center (Germany) for the second time.

The second repair lasted consecutive weeks (2 weeks as I remember). They replaced the motherboard (a new GPU was 8400 GT 512 DDR3 instead of 512 DDR2). And this time my Vaio seemed to work properly. Sony consultants insisted that it was not the well-known nVidia problem, but they were not able to specify what exactly happened to my GPU.
Unfortunately, replacing motherboard technicians broke down my LCD display. The damage looked like a small hole in the surface of the display. Additionally, they made many different scratches on the outside housing of the screen. At that moment I noticed all these things I was really tired of the Sony Vaio service, their promises, ineffective procedures, standards and quality controls. I spent a lot of money on my beloved Vaio, I took care of it and they just damaged it.

In the circumstances I demanded either a new laptop or new LCD screen with outside housing. I was lucky I took many (very detailed) pictures of my Vaio before and after each repair in Sony Repair Center. The manager in Repair Center denied all the charges –that is why Sony wanted to see pictures. Of course, they didn’t want to buy a new laptop for me, so they decided to send my Vaio to Sony Repair Center (Germany) another time to replace the screen and housing. I agreed, but demanded as good lcd screen as mine was (two lamps, no damaged pixels).

Third repair lasted next 2 weeks. They replaced the lcd screen, outside housing and … keyboard (I didn’t manage to get to know what happened to my keyboard –I had no problems with it before the third repair). ……I was totally shocked when I noticed…a red pixel on my new screen! I realize the standards concerning pixels, but that was not a guarantee repair –they had to give me a new one, because they broke mine. And I wanted exactly the same lcd screen. So… I sent another pictures to Sony and this time I demanded a new laptop.

It was a real horror story. I spent a lot of money on my Vaio, took care of it and I cannot still understand how it was possible that technicians not only didn’t repair it at the first time, but they also broke it and just sent it to the owner. Additionally, they needed so much time for it.

I must admit that finally Sony negotiated with the Repair Center in Germany a new laptop for me. If I had to do it myself I would probably had nothing –I am only a usual woman and my negotiation position wasn’t advantageous. Sony –a huge corporation- was able to force the Repair Center in Germany to buy a new laptop for Sony’s loyal customer. Thanks to effort of Mr. D.M. –superior of the Sony consultants- I got a new laptop VGN-FW31ZJ (better than my old one) in March. He also assured me that any future possible repairs of my new laptop will be executed in Sony Repair Center in France. I hope I will not need to use it.

Only because of the effort of Mr. D.M. and his final solution of my problem I am going to remain Sony’s customer in the future.

Urbaxter
Visitor

Did you get your laptop back from Sony Repair Centre? What did they do and how much did it cost? Did they replace your motherboard? I am experiencing the same problems with the same white vertical dotted lines on the screen

Hi,
I am sorry chey17, I did not have enough time to reply to your mail earlier.

My Vaio (VGN-FZ11Z, nVidia 8400GT; Vaio was under a four year extended warranty) came back home in January (at last!). It spent a few weeks at Sony Repair Center in Germany. I had to make a lot of phone calls to Sony consultants to get my Vaio back at last. It cost me much time and nerves. All they did during that long period of time was to replace some cable in my Vaio. Naturally, what I was afraid of, I pressed the power button and saw… dots and lines on the screen!!! Again! I could not believe my eyes. Sony consultants assured me that my Vaio was repaired, it was even at quality control department in Germany before sending it to me. I did thought I would have a heart attack. I really needed my laptop and after almost a month-repair I had to send it back again.

That is the way my beloved Vaio was sent to Sony Repair Center (Germany) for the second time.

The second repair lasted consecutive weeks (2 weeks as I remember). They replaced the motherboard (a new GPU was 8400 GT 512 DDR3 instead of 512 DDR2). And this time my Vaio seemed to work properly. Sony consultants insisted that it was not the well-known nVidia problem, but they were not able to specify what exactly happened to my GPU.
Unfortunately, replacing motherboard technicians broke down my LCD display. The damage looked like a small hole in the surface of the display. Additionally, they made many different scratches on the outside housing of the screen. At that moment I noticed all these things I was really tired of the Sony Vaio service, their promises, ineffective procedures, standards and quality controls. I spent a lot of money on my beloved Vaio, I took care of it and they just damaged it.

In the circumstances I demanded either a new laptop or new LCD screen with outside housing. I was lucky I took many (very detailed) pictures of my Vaio before and after each repair in Sony Repair Center. The manager in Repair Center denied all the charges –that is why Sony wanted to see pictures. Of course, they didn’t want to buy a new laptop for me, so they decided to send my Vaio to Sony Repair Center (Germany) another time to replace the screen and housing. I agreed, but demanded as good lcd screen as mine was (two lamps, no damaged pixels).

Third repair lasted another 2 weeks. They replaced the lcd screen, outside housing and … keyboard (I didn’t manage to get to know what happened to my keyboard –I had no problems with it before the third repair). ……I was totally shocked when I noticed…a red pixel on my new screen! I realize the standards concerning pixels, but that was not a guarantee repair –they had to give me a new one, because they broke mine. And I wanted exactly the same lcd screen. So… I sent another pictures to Sony and this time I demanded a new laptop.

It was a real horror story. I spent a lot of money on my Vaio, took care of it and I cannot still understand how it was possible that technicians not only didn’t repair it at the first time, but they also broke it and just sent it to the owner. Additionally, they needed so much time for it.

I must admit that finally Sony negotiated with the Repair Center in Germany a new laptop for me. If I had to do it myself I would probably had nothing –I am only a usual woman and my negotiation position wasn’t advantageous. Sony –a huge corporation- was able to force the Repair Center in Germany to buy a new laptop for Sony’s loyal customer. Thanks to effort of Mr. D.M. –superior of the Sony consultants- I got a new laptop VGN-FW31ZJ (better than my old one) in March. He also assured me that any future possible repairs of my new laptop will be executed in Sony Repair Center in France. I hope I will not need to use it.

Only because of the effort of Mr. D.M. and his final solution of my problem I am going to remain Sony’s customer in the future.

OH MY GOD!
I am absolutely SHOCKED with your story, I live in Brazil and my Vaio FZ21Z is right now in Germany to repair the same Nvidia problem...!!!
OH MY GOD... again!

AcILLaTeM
Visitor

Hi.. Soz if i'm asking something that someone already has but i didn't have the time to read all threads. I have a sony vaio VGN-FZ21M and i think i'm experiencing the problem with graphic card simce for the past 5 days i can see vertical lines on my screen and i can use the pc only in safe mode... So my question is:
is there any official saying from sony that recognises the problem and offers a solution or I'm on my own and must start looking for a new laptop? (btw i bought this one 19-20 months ago)

Urbaxter
Visitor

Hi AcILLaTeM,

I'm so sorry but I don't have good news for you, here your answers:
1- NO, until now, Sony don't recognises this issue.
2- You have two possibilities if your Vaio is out of warranty, buy another one, or spend approximately EU$ 700,00 to swap your motherboard.
Have a good luck!
------------------------------------------------

Wiaterek
Visitor

...or, depending on the country you live, you can use your consumer law at the place you bought your Vaio. In the case of faulty nVidia chip it should be even more useful for you to use the consumer rights than the producer warranty. I do advise you to go to the shop where you bought your Vaio and make a complaint.

AcILLaTeM
Visitor

So there is no possibility to be fixed without replacing the motherboard?

Wiaterek
Visitor

So there is no possibility to be fixed without replacing the motherboard?

I do not know. I am not an engineer. But if the press information that some nVidia chips are made of wrong material is true, it seems logical that the only way to solve the problem is to replace motherboard.

Using a producer warranty is only one possible way to repair your laptop. The others -consumer rights => shop, a guarantee of safe shopping given by your credit card and so on... are very useful and effective, if you can use them. If your laptop is out of warranty, use the other possibilities...

Read last threads here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?s=f702edde1c9fc5c5ace1f8e6850668d4&t=268277&page=77

Good luck!
Wiaterek

Trancos64
Visitor

Hello, greetings from Argentina.
First of all I apologize for writing so poorly in English.
I have the same problem as described above. I am a holder of FZ150FE with an 8400M GT GPU for 18 months and can only use standard VGA mode since the GPU died. I contacted the technical service from Sony in Argentina but ignore the problem. I was told that I must leave the notebook for a period of 15 to 30 days to make a diagnosis and that the cost would run from me.
I am totally disappointed with Sony and this was the last team to buy Sony. Sony anymore.
When I read this forum and I see all the hardships that you have developed and I think I have to face the monster in Sony argentina, me demoralized. But outside I use the notebook for work would be the throwing out of the window.
Good luck and greetings from the far south