Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

6800gt
Visitor

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

I just wonder if anyone has the alleged graphic problem with your vaio series. I got AR51J with 8400m GT early this year. So far it works fine, but not sure it would die shortly :slight_frown: :smileysad:. What's the sony's response?

origin story: All Nvidia G84 and G86s are bad
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

Channel Vendors Demand Graphics Cards Suppliers to Recall Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Cards.
Resellers Want to Return Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Boards to Makers
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080725123120_Channel_Vendors_Demand_Graphics_Cards_Supp...

347 REPLIES 347
6800gt
Visitor

Progress about the faulty chip is below:

HP Admits Nvidia Defects Were Known Since Last Year
Dell isn't the only laptop maker offering its customers help if they have laptops with certain Nvidia chips that are prone to overheating. HP has issued a list of laptops of its own that feature the chipset and states that it's been a known warranty issue since late last year. While not offering to swap for new laptops, HP has made it known that if your laptop meets certain criteria then you may be eligible for a free repair. This is good news for those of you with fried portables in your closet, so check out the list on HP's website to see if you're affected. [HP via Nanotech]

http://gizmodo.com/5030264/hp-admits-nvidia-defects-were-known-since-last-year

The defective models from HP are listed:
HP Pavilion notebook PC series Compaq Presario notebook PC series
dv20xx v30xx
dv21xx v31xx
dv22xx v32xx
dv23xx v33xx
dv24xx v34xx
dv60xx v60xx
dv61xx v61xx
dv62xx v62xx
dv63xx v63xx
dv64xx v64xx
dv90xx
dv92xx
dv93xx
dv94xx

Symptoms:
If your computer’s product number is listed above, and the notebook PC experiences one or more of the symptoms listed below, contact HP during the Duration of the HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement to determine whether you are eligible for a free repair.
The following symptoms apply to Pavilion dv2000 and Presario v3000 notebooks:

The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.

The following symptoms apply to the dv6000, dv9000 and v6000 series notebooks:

The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.
The notebook has no power and no active LEDs.
The notebook does not start.
The battery charge indicator light does not turn on when the battery is installed and the AC adapter is connected.
The notebook issues a single beep during boot indicating no power.
The external monitor functions but there is no image on the notebook LCD panel.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189%C3%...

nox1492
Visitor

Hi,

I have the same concern about my VGN-FZ38M with the same 8400 M GT GPU.

I noticed that the fan was running permanently in a previous post.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

We have already raised this problem with Sony Europe who have asked Sony Japan to look at this problem.

After an investigation Japan Headquarters replied stating that VAIO's are not affected.
They have investigated repair data world-wide and have not found the related issue on any VAIO. They will continue their investigations and will monitor the repair data.

Different manuafacturers use the nVidia products in different configurations and it could be that the Vaio design does not make this problem worse.

It will soon become obvious on this forum if Vaio owners start to experience these problems but in the end there is little benefit in worrying about this - if your Vaio has a video problem it will be repaired under guarantee. If a general nVidia problem begins to emerge, I am sure a free repair will be available.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Blencogo's right about this, I don't think they will defect on repairing it.

DetlevCM
Visitor

The NVidia issue is an odd mix of obvious and unexplained.

Its been discussed in another very good forum on Sony too
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=268277&page=19

and one of the oddities is that Vaios do not seem to be as affected.
I'm saying as affected as there were 2 or maybe 3 FZ which seemed to have developed a graphics problem.
(Other factors may have added to the failure)

But that's it - which seems in a way strange...

What Sony's response will be - I hope its one that'll let people use their NVidia in peace.

(Glad I'm not affected, I use the Chipset on my SZ all the time)

profile.country.pt_PT.title
luisarn
Explorer

The NVidia issue is an odd mix of obvious and unexplained.

Its been discussed in another very good forum on Sony too
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=268277&page=19

and one of the oddities is that Vaios do not seem to be as affected.
I'm saying as affected as there were 2 or maybe 3 FZ which seemed to have developed a graphics problem.
(Other factors may have added to the failure)

But that's it - which seems in a way strange...

What Sony's response will be - I hope its one that'll let people use their NVidia in peace.

(Glad I'm not affected, I use the Chipset on my SZ all the time)

Hi, Sony is currently investigating the NVIDIA issue and some of the FZ mentioned on the notebookreview forum shipped already to Sony Repair Center for further investigation.
VAIO-Link is notified about the problem of the user mikper83 aka AbleDanger (in this forum) and will contact him soon.
We don't know which components is causing that graphics problem yet but if Sony find out that is the faulty NVIDIA chip, I'm pretty sure they will manage a free repair to the affected users :slight_smile:

Regards,
Luis Neng

nox1492
Visitor

Hi all,

Thanks for updates.

There is something I would like to know : what is going to happen if the vaio is no more under warranty ?
In France the warranty period is only 1 year. Will Sony extend the warranty period ?

DetlevCM
Visitor

At current no-one knows.

In the Notebook Review Forum one person was offered a half price repair on an FZ.

They may, or they may not.

Chanandler
Visitor

OK where do I start...... I have a FZ21Z that has started running extremely hot over the last few months, especially when playing games.

When I say hot I have loaded up PC Wizard 08 to check the temps and currently the processors are running at 98 and 97 degrees and the gpu is running at 101 degrees c!

I am not doing anything on the laptop other than replying to this post and all that is running in the background is some AV software and the normal windows processes.

Last month I raised a call with the Vaio support and had a call from someone who told me that he didn't think there was a problem and that I must be using the laptop on a soft surface and am blocking the vents. He then said that if I wanted to send it in to be repaired I could but it is highly likely they would find nothing wrong with it and I would be required to pay £150 for wasting their time.

Well I only use the laptop on a table and the vents are not covered. But sadly I didn't want another bill so have not sent it in, as they could say whatever they liked regardless of whether there is a genuine problem or not.

So am I just supposed to keep using it and wait for it to melt down or are Sony going to help me out and fix this problem? The damn thing gets so hot that I can't even touch the front left edge of it!!!!