Join now - be part of our community!

No power and no charge - Sony Vaio Tap 11

gawestw
New

No power and no charge - Sony Vaio Tap 11

Hi All

My battery ran flat so I plugged in the powwer adapter and nothing is happening.

The light on the power adapter brick is lit but the power button/charge button on the computer is not and it will no charge or power up.

I have only had the item for 2 weeks.

Has anyone any ideas what the issue is and how to fix?

Thanks

Garry

16 REPLIES 16
tmdugan10
New

I had the same issue - I took it to Geek Squad and he took one look and said, "ah ... your power jack broke off."  So it must have been plugged in and I slid it into my bag and it broke off.  So, you may want to check that.  I'm sure Sony will make me pay for repairs.  Really, the power jack on the Sony/Vaio Tap-11 tablet is the worst jack plug I've ever seen - it's so wobbly even when it is plugged in, at first, I thought it was just unplugged.  

While I'm on the topic of "poor design", after pulling off the flap for access to the USB port, it won't go back on - ugh - now it just hangs down.

Can't find any youtube videos on how to repair it so will have to send it in ;-(

cheers,

t.d.

serbog1
New

You battery needs resetting, the reset slot is very tiny and difficult to find but it is in one of the compartments.

cookmik
New

I did that, thanks for the suggestion. (tried it so many times) I have no
resigned to send it off to Sony to see if they can fix it.
*MCook*
smart2014
Explorer

Here are few things to try:

1.    Check if the battery works in another laptop.

2.    Clean the battery contacts if you’re comfortable with it. Also check if it’s damaged or bent.

3.    Try another battery. If this battery works, then you know for sure that the other battery is faulty. If the system is under warranty you can get battery replacement from Sony

4.    Seems like flashing BIOS has helped a great deal of people facing similar problem. 

Please fully charge (24 hours) and discharge for several times to see how long the battery working time is. hope can help you,thanks

B,Rgds Fiona

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

I do worry when I read some of the advice posted.

Fiona would you mind explaining how you remove the non removable battery from a Tap 11 please?

hewanyv
Explorer

Are you sure the charger isn't working? If your batteries are worn out thy won't charge properly. Does it have the OUTPUT voltage and current rating stamped onto the body? Or alternatively, are you in possession of the user's manual for the laptop, and does it specify the operating voltage/current, or voltage/power? If so, it's quite possible that it can be replaced with a generic solution. If the batteries have reached or are approaching their end-of-life, then replace the batteries.

{Commercial link removed}

profile.country.GB.title
martingnash
Explorer

I have an old VGN- TZ-11MN that has done sterling service but some time ago stated developing a similar problem. 

I was finding initially that the screen had to be open at a certain angle in order to get the recharging lamp to flash.  

At the moment, I can't get it to work at all. 

I have read that there are 'socket' problems with the model and also a problem with the wires that are constantly twisting with the hinge when the lid is open and closed.  

As the laptop is very personal to me, I will take it in to see if anything can be done about it.  If I get any news I'll come back on line.  

A few years ago I had a similar problem with an Asus.  This was very well recorded and there were YouTube videos showing how to replace. The cable and the cables were easy to get hold of and cheap.  Replaced the cable without any problems and it has been running OK for at least four years.  Probably speaking too soon and it will burn out any time now - people did experience small fires in their Asus laptops - and I won't be able to find the other new cable I purchased!!!   Dohhhhh...

All the best,

MGN-Fire