Join now - be part of our community!

No audio device after Windows Update for IDT Audio Codec

profile.country.en_GB.title
nigdyer66
Visitor

No audio device after Windows Update for IDT Audio Codec

I have just installed this Codec update provided by Windows Update. After restarting my machine the speaker tray icon showed red cross - No audio out device is installed.
I tried re-installing from disk both using the IDT Audio Codec (failed error 10) and Sigmatel Audio Codec (appeared to work but same error on re-boot).
I was only able to get my sound back by carrying out System Restore to prior to Windows Update.
I believe this update was to provide compatibility with Vista SP1 (i.e. required before Windows Update would offer SP1), but clearly major problem with it.

Any ideas please?

8 REPLIES 8
Simpetus
Visitor

Yep, I have the same problem. i was stupid enough to update, the most funy thing is that in archive that include all preinstalled drivers there are no SigmaTel high audio definiton drivers. Why?

Simpetus
Visitor

I've found a key to my problem here ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/OS/XPDOWNGRADE/SZ4-SZ5/DRIVERS/2_AUDIO.ZIP it's driver for xp, but it goes just fine on Vista too. :smileygrin:

Wellbrook
Visitor

I have the same porblem after doing this windows update.

I have a FE48E

EDIT:

Its not just a VAIO problem looks like a more widespread problem after looking through the web. People with Dells are getting the same problem by looking at there forum, but they have a solution http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_audio&thread.id=82248&view=by_... but looks like it will only work for dells

karjuhas
New

Same here. I don't understand why there isn't an option to uninstall an update. I've tried to uninstall the IDT driver, but it just reinstalls itself automatically.

I have a solution though. Go to device manager, and right click on the IDT driver, choosing "update driver...". Then choose "Browse my computer..." and "Let me pick from list...". Select the SigmaTel HD driver, and everything should be back to normal. Admittedly, I have not restarted the PC yet, but I should think it will sort things out.

[Edit] Didn't work. Had to reinstall the sigmatel driver I still had in the c:\update folder, after downloading it using vaio update sometime last year.

nigdyer66
Visitor

You may be interested to know that I reported this problem via e-Support to Sony Vaio team. They have replied to say that can't provide support for the codecs and told me to do a System Restore to remove the update (which I had already told them I had done).
I think this is very poor - how can Sony not help to resolve the problem on their machines?
I understand Vista SP1 is being delayed by a perceived problem with the Sigmatel codec and this update may have been the way to resolve it so that SP1 could then be offered to Vaio machines. As a result how will SP1 get automatically presented by Windows Update? I understand others have installed it via a standalone download, but I would prefer to install it via Windows Update with the expectation that this is less likely to cause a problem with drivers etc.
How can we rely on Windows Updates if this sort of thing happens and Sony can't help?
A disappointing situation.

I'd be interested in other peoples' thoughts.

tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

I had the same issue.
Just install the sigmatel drivers from VAIO update and everythingwill work again.

Kindest regards,
Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
nigdyer66
Visitor

I had the same issue.
Just install the sigmatel drivers from VAIO update and everythingwill work again.

Kindest regards,
Nico

Yes thanks, this gets back to things working - but doesn't resolve the Vista SP1 issue.

profile.country.en_IE.title
sonypass33
Visitor

Same problem here, it broke the sound.
To fix (or if you haven't come across it yet) Allow it to install and break the sound.
Next time you do an update, Service Pack 1 should be available to you.
Install SP1.
Once it''s finished, don't bother with system restore etc, simply rollback the audio driver in divice manager, works for me and I've rebooted since.