Join now - be part of our community!

network card

robholmes
Visitor

network card

just got my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and am about to purchase a network card for my GRT816S , can anyone advise which brand and type of card would be best suited, or does it not really matter if it is 54mps or 108 mps?

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I suggest a Belkin one
I have this one right here

William
Visitor

If your supplied router is 108Mbs then it matters.

But you could also ask yourself how fast is your internet connection if computer to computer file sharing is not the prime importance.

In reality unless things have changed (with Netgear) 108 is only available on one channel.

I would recommend Netgear but any PCMCIA "g" card should work at 54Mbs.

kee-lo_

108 is flakey to say the least

William
Visitor

108 is flakey to say the least

I wholeheartedly agree it is sales hype. 54 Mbs is fine in general, you won't currently find better, and any make will do but Belkin and Netgear are well known brands.

Thinking about it speeds are all theoretical and even on my 54Mbs networkfiles transfer at a snails pace - Nothing like 54Mbs,

William
Visitor

But at the end of the day I have one desktop, one laptop and three printers all connected wirelessly, as well as the internet.

Can't grumble :wink:

kee-lo_

The best way to fileshare has to still be the good old cable way, I chucked 11GB onto a DVD recently and it took < 50mins to put from laptop to desktop hard disk

robholmes
Visitor

i will only be using wireless for internet and maybe a wireless printer so i think judging by responses a 54mps will be just the job., thanks everyone for the replys.:smileyhappy:

kee-lo_

No problem

Nice bike there

William
Visitor

Nice bike there

Aye - Nice bike, thats three of us and counting...
:smileygrin: