Join now - be part of our community!

I want to upgrade my Graphics

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Geoff44GH
Visitor

I want to upgrade my Graphics

Hi,

I own a Sony VA10 all in one desktop computer, Model VGC-LA1. Running Windows XP SP3 Home Edition.

I have already upgraded the RAM to 2GB, by replacing the two 512 MB cards to two 1GB Cards, giving me 2GB RAM,  which is the maximum allowed for this model.

The graphics Card presently in my computer is Nvidia Go7400. I would like to up grade to a Nvida 8600GL or 8800GL. Is it possible to upgrade the graphics for this model, or will I have to stick with what I already have?

I want to upgrade my computer to be able to run higher end games which need 2GB RAM, by keeping my operationg system of Windows XP

I would appreciate any help with this question regarding improving the graphics for this model

Geoff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Geoff,

Unfortunately the VGC-LA1 is not a true desktop computer and does not have an interchangeable desktop graphics card.  It has a notebook graphics chip that is soldered into the main board and this cannot be economically upgraded.

All you can do is to look for any XP driver upgrades for the Go 7400 as and when these may come available.

Bang up-to-date nVidia drivers for 32-bit XP are available here - but read the FAQ section carefully, especially the Getting Started Guide as the drivers will not install without modifying the installer .inf file.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Sorry

:slight_frown:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Geoff,

Unfortunately the VGC-LA1 is not a true desktop computer and does not have an interchangeable desktop graphics card.  It has a notebook graphics chip that is soldered into the main board and this cannot be economically upgraded.

All you can do is to look for any XP driver upgrades for the Go 7400 as and when these may come available.

Bang up-to-date nVidia drivers for 32-bit XP are available here - but read the FAQ section carefully, especially the Getting Started Guide as the drivers will not install without modifying the installer .inf file.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Sorry

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Geoff44GH
Visitor

Thank you for your reply Blencogo. I thought as much. I have managed to update my GeForce Go7400 drivers from the nVida website, but not sure if they will make any difference, but I have found that since upgrading my Ram to 2GB, has made my games run with better frame rates and they run smoother. Must save up for a more up to date machine. Trouble is, after twelve months, they are out of date. But I do like this computer and it will run most games even some of the latest. I tend to run simulation games and the ones I have installed run ok.