Join now - be part of our community!

Help wanted to reconnect wires coming out of power supply box.

jcbrotel
Visitor

Help wanted to reconnect wires coming out of power supply box.

Hi everyone,

I've had my VAIO PCV-RX402 since December 2002 and it's been running fine apart from the following problem.

At some stage in the warm season, when the CPU becomes a bit too hot some terrible scream comes out of it and the switch starts flashing.

Obviously this is meant to warn me that the appliance is in danger.

I've tried several times to gently dust the inside of the unit but found it hard to open it, all I managed to remove was the side panel.

As this has not really helped I decided yesterday to really try and take the risk to get inside things and managed to remove the power supply and video card to give the CPU and all 3 fans a proper dusting.

This time I must say it HAS worked as I have got rid of the noise and flashing.

Yet while putting things together I got the impression that a plug had accidentally been removed from somewhere. The plug in question is brown and bears "P2" on it and it is to be found at the end of 3 wires (blue, white and black) coming out of the power supply case.

As I couldn't figure out where it could possibly be plugged in I tried to restart the unit and got the following warning message from the BIOS:

"Hardware Monitor Error Found: Power Supply Fan. Press F2 and select Power/Hardware Monitor for more detail."

I did press F2 and found that the power supply was reported as not functioning at all yet it does work indeed.

My guess is that those 3 wires should be connected somewhere in the CPU to tell the BIOS that the power supply fan is actually working properly.

Now if any of you out there has had the same problem or happens to open their CPU I would be most grateful if you would kindly let me know where thes 3 wires should be plugged into.

Many thanks for your help in anticipation.

Jean-Christophe Brotel jcbrotel[at]gmail.com

PS: here is the very helpful advice I got from Sony this morning... I do hope yours will be slightly more valuable ! :cool:

Notes 08-May-2008 Jussi

*** NOTES 08-May-2008 Action Type: Info
Dear Mr Brotel,

Thank you for contacting the Sony E-Support Team.
Unfortunately, we cannot give you support for the
disassembly or re-assembly of the unit.

We recommend organizing a pickup and repair of the
unit to return it to a working condition.

To proceed with this, please provide us with two telephone numbers
as well as a time of day during which we may organize the call back.
Alternatively, you can also call us directly on 0892 390 253.

Regards,
Jussi Rapo
Sony Vaio-Link Team.[/img]

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jean-Christophe and welcome.

I attach the Sony System Reference Manual for the PCV-RX951 at the bottom of this post which is going to be very similar to your model.

Have a look at System Board page and diagram

I think it must be the "Power Supply Fan" which plugs into the System Board just to the right of the 20-wire Power Supply Header (P1) and to the left of the 4-wire CPU Power Supply (P4).

Good Luck!

:wink:

EDIT: Sorry Jean-Christphe, the file is too big to attach - I have sent the manual to you by email.

:wink: