Join now - be part of our community!

***Help, pls*** Sony VGN TX1-XP/B & Wireless Switch Setting Utility

royhuang
Visitor

***Help, pls*** Sony VGN TX1-XP/B & Wireless Switch Setting Utility

Has anyone experienced their setting utility stop working? The Switcher.exe application which is automatically started up (I see it in msconfig) doesn't work...even when I manually start it, it automatically closes itself after a second.

So, when I switch on my wireless LAN switch, I can't disable my Bluetooth!

Help please! Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.de_DE.title
grafzeppelin
Visitor

Common problem.

You need a new WLAN Driver for your adapter (most likely Intel).
Latest one is 9.0.3.9. Free download from Intel webpage.

The Driver consists of the actual driver and a GUI. You have to install BOTH to make your switcher work again. If you are not shure install everything that comes along in the download package.

Restart your computer. Done.

Cheers

Fidipaldi
Visitor

Hi,I am having the same problem with the Vaio BX. I looked at the intel site but I am not sure about which driver is needed. Could you please point me to it?

Many thanks!!

Fidipaldi
Visitor

I did the update as instructed but the LAN Switcher does not shoes up....Anything I missed?

Thanks!!

royhuang
Visitor

***MY ANSWER***
After re-installing the OS about 3 times, I found the culprit that made my Wireless switch app not boot up...it was WEBROOT SPY SWEEPER! Basically, I had to reinstall every app + reboot after each time to see whether switcher.exe loaded up.

Too bad, since PC Mag claimed that Spy Sweeper was better than Adware's spyware app...

Anyhow, beware if you install Spy Sweeper! ***WHERE can I post to Sony to tell them to patch their app for compatibility w/ Spy Sweeper?***

Thanks everyone for their help.

Fidipaldi
Visitor

Well done! I also have the Webroot software installed.

I did uninstall Webroot and reinstalled the LAN Switcher and the wireless LAN Starter afterwards. I still don't have the switcher working yet!!

Did you install some of the other Sony software as well?

Many thanks.

royhuang
Visitor

i didn't reinstall the wireless setting utility. i just uninstalled spy sweeper. note that it was my 3rd 'clean' attempt. i stored all my zipped setup apps on the d:\ drive so i first used the recovery tool just to restore the c:\ drive and all the factory installed apps. then i (painfully) added my apps again 2 at a time w/ a saved system restore + reboot. when i got to spysweeper i happened to do a reboot and noticed that my green icon for the switcher.exe app disappeared (thus isolating the conflicting app) and then simply uninstalled spy sweeper. then all as been fine since.

so, in summary, you'll probably have to copy all necessary files (favorites folder, custom background and personal files (remember your to copy your outlook pst file!) from your c drive to your d drive; use recovery to restore ONLY your c drive and then reinstall and configure all your apps again (outlook was a pain!).

hope this helps.

Fidipaldi
Visitor

Thanks for your detailed explanation!

I think I will just live without the LAN switcher at the moment. I don't want to reinstate my c drive for the benefit of being able to switch Bluetooth off.

Although annoying I will have to live with the knowledge that some software does not work.