Join now - be part of our community!

GRT816S shuts down on its own will

bsg
Visitor

GRT816S shuts down on its own will

My GRT 816S laptop shuts down suddenly while I'm using it, plus it's extremely hot. and it's nine months old only.
I've just set the screen luminosity to a lower value and it seems to shut down a bit less.

10 REPLIES 10
bsg
Visitor

also I should note : it seems to run slightly slower than normal actually.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

What do you mean by "extremely hot" ? Laptops generate a lot of heat in a relatively small space and so the air coming out (usually underneath) can make the surface that they sit on quite hot.

If the machine is shutting down it could be an overheating problem (heat sink, blocked vents, slow fan) or it could be a virus (Sasser?)

There is software you can get to see the temperature at which your CPU is running at but I can't remember the links - perhaps someone else could be of more help?

bsg
Visitor

you can barely touch the backside of the computer. maybe it's normal but you wouldn't put it on your legs for instance.

my antivirus is updated as often as possible (several times a week), I run a complete system check each week, plus I don't run any executable files from a suspect origin, and I don't use any security weak applications such as IE or Outlook (well that's not completely true : I use windows XP, but note that I'm behind a very paranoid firewall) .

would love to know which software could check CPU heat plus CPU speed, so I could give consistent data.
Thanks for the tips.

bsg
Visitor

As I'm a bit of a paranoid, I checked at microsoft's site if I was infected with a sasser worm, so I can confirm I'm not.

kee-lo_

Another poor soul with a laptop with poor cooling.
Give the fans a clean out or contact VAIO-Link if you're within the warranty period.

bsg
Visitor

I'm in the warranty period but I need the computer to work ! so sending it to vaiolink is not an option except if they give me back the money I'll lose 😕
Is it possible to clean the fans without braking the warranty ?
If so is there any tutorial about how to do it properly (never opened a laptop before) ?

thanks for you answers kee lo.

bsg
Visitor

I continue this thread since I've tested the cpu temperature utility suggested by kee lo and robpaxton mobilemeter
the temperature reaches 92°C.
I just bough an antec notebook cooler, but it seems useless, since the temperature is the same with or without it. So I'm forced to work at night when ambiant temperature is cooler... thanks sony 😞

mangold
Visitor

I mobilemeter[/url] 
the temperature reaches 92°C.

Can you feel any air exhaust from the fan?
My GRV516G iP4 2.4GHz desktop CPU reaches max 65°C under sustained load.
I think >90°C is result of a cooling deficiency.
Regards Günter

kee-lo_

I agree Gunter.