Join now - be part of our community!

File Formats MP3, Atrac or AtracPlus??

Ucjam
Visitor

File Formats MP3, Atrac or AtracPlus??

Hi i have just got all the new firmware stuff n all that all very impressed so far but i was confused about the file types before now im more confused when you add MP3 files. i have uploaded most of my songs as Atrac3Plus256 cos i figure higher bitrate means better sound. But what is really the best format to use to get the best possible sound out of the Vaio?

Also if i converted a 66kbps MP3 file into an Atrac3Plus256 format surely this isn't going to enhance the sound any cos it can only 'play' with what is in the original MP3 file to start with....now see even im confused.....anyone know? is there an advantage to converting an MP3 file into an Atrac file (other then the obvious space saving thing)

Look forward to your replies!

2 REPLIES 2
TygerTyger
Visitor

You are right in most cases. The Plus Format is the highest quality, and will get you the best sound but ONLY if the original file you converted from was of equal or better quality. As you say, converting a 66khz mp3 will gain you nothing at all.

If the original file isn't of CD quality or better, then you are better off encoding using the same quality as the original mp3.

One last point: the higher the quality, then larger the file size. So if you convert a 66mhz mp3 into super duper AtracPlus256, it will still sound like a 66mhz mp3, but the file size will be much larger. So converting does not always give you a space saving benefit. And I'm not 100% on this, but I have a feeling that Atrac takes up more space than mp3 anyway, because it's higher quality.

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi, through testing I have found Atrac to offer much better quality than MP3, I use 132kbps Atrac for ripping my CD's file size is about 10% of the original, I then use Atrac3plus 256kbps (20%) for my vinyl collection so as to preserve the lovely analogue sound!

Personally I would leave what you have in MP3 (converting to any different format will only make it worse).

Any new stuff you rip put intoAtrac3 132 or 256 (use the latter until you fill up the HD then reconvert to 132kbps as needed.
this will save as much sound quality as possible,:smileygrin: :smileygrin:

I have my unit connected to my in car system and sometimes my hi-fi, it is then much easier hear the sound quality difference between the formats.

hope this helps,

C