Join now - be part of our community!

DVD copying

fish7137
Visitor

DVD copying

Hi, i have a few dvds i would like to back up (so i can take the copies to university and leave the originals at home). Problem is, I only have one dvd-rw drive so dont know how to copy across from the DVD media disk to the blank disc. Anyone know how?

Thanks and excuse my ignorance

10 REPLIES 10
feederfan
Visitor

Hey,
Ok, to do this you will need two pieces of software. Ive tried loads of ways of doing this, and this is by far the quickest. The first thing you will need is AnyDVD, this removes the protection on DVD discs so that your computer can copy them. Then you need a copy of CloneDVD. This will compress a DVD-9 format (Dual Layer) movie onto a DVD-5 movie, so that you can burn it on a regualr disc, it retains extras and menus aswell. Then the program will burn the image onto a disc. It normally takes about 20 mins to rip the DVD and between 1hr and 5 mins to burn the DVD depending on your drive's speed. both programs are available from Slysoft. There are free trials i think so you can try before u buy :smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

If the disks are not encrypted and not copyrighted then you can just use a standard disk to disk copy program. With one drive it will cache the disk to your hard drive then copy to the DVD.

If the disks are commercial and copyrighted then this will not work as the disks will be encrypted. If this is the case then copying these would be breach of copyright and as this is an official Sony site it would be unwise to pursue the problem here.

feederfan
Visitor

Rob, it is not illegal to back up your discs, if he is using them for what he says, it is perfectly legal, You are permitted to make one back up copy for your own use. and i know i wouldnt want to take originals to somewhere where they could easily get stolen or lost. Also, you cant use a standard disc to disc program as most commercial DVDs are in the Dual Layer, DVD 9 format, and hold 8GB of data, where as a standard DVDR will only hold 4.5GB. Therefore the movie must be compressed so it can fit on a standard DVDR.

robpaxton
Explorer

Sorry, the 'fair use' and one backup law is a myth in the UK. It is an offence (civil) to copy a copyrighted DVD.

http://copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law - Paras. 7 & 8 detail what is & what isn't allowed.

Psaila
Visitor

Sorry, the 'fair use' and one backup law is a myth in the UK.  It is an offence (civil) to copy a copyrighted DVD.

I have to agree with Rob , copyrigths Are Just That .Copyrigths

robpaxton
Explorer

I personally think there is nothing wrong in making a backup copy for personal use . . . . UK copyright law doesn't agree with me.

kee-lo_

Sadly, it's illegal, and as Rob said it's best taking this conversation elsewhere.

feederfan
Visitor

Fair enough, last time i checked, it was allowed to make a backup copy! Cant do anything these days can you!

feederfan
Visitor

Ahh i know where i got confused now UK Copyright Law according to the website, you can only make a backup of Computer Programs, not DVDs:<<br/>