Join now - be part of our community!

Device not found - Gobi3000 - WWAN - Win8

profile.country.en_GB.title
VPCZ21USER
Visitor

Device not found - Gobi3000 - WWAN - Win8

I have got pretty much everything working again following my upgrade to Windows 8 on my VPCZ21. All that is apart from the Gobi3000 WWAN modem.

This was a tempremental little  chap under Win7, but now I can't get it to show in the Device Manager, or for the One click manager to find the device.

Other forum questios on this topic and similar ones seem to always get the response from Sony that one should just revert to Win 7 - Well - that is not helpful, and is frankly a little insulting. You have put up Win 8 update drivers and programs, so you appear to support Win8. It would be much more useful if you would simply tell us if ther IS going to be an updated device driver, whether the hardware will ever work on Win 8, if there is something we can do to get wwan ETC.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi dicky.woollard and welcome.

I'm not sure if you are aware but this is a User Forum.  Sony do not actively monitor posts here or post replies.

Looking at the Sony Upgrade FAQs, I see that Sony do not support an upgrade for your model but will make as many drivers available as possible.  They also say 'no online support is available for unsupported models'.  There is no new WWAN driver even on the supported VPCZ Vaios but only a Migration install is supported by Sony.

However, on such a recent, prestige model you would expect them to at least list any limitations associated with the upgrade.  It may be that some features will not work with Windows 8.  I have held back from upgrading until all limitations are known - in particular the WWAN and the switchable Graphics.

As this is likely to be a popular question, I will see if we can get an answer from Sony.  They will ask me several questions so can you provide the following info: -

Full Vaio Model

How have you upgraded to Windows 8 - Clean Install, Migration (“Keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps.”)

Have you reinstalled/updated VAIO Smart Network Update 3.12 - 3.12.0.08100?

Is the wireless light illuminated with the physical switch ON and only WWAN selected in Vaio Smart Network?

I assume you have reinstalled 'WWAN Connection Manager' and 'WWAN Driver' from the Windows 7 preinstalled drivers?

Have you re-seated the SIM card as there have been some poor connection reports?

What other drivers have you installed?

As I have said, I will ask the question in the hope of an answer but we have no guarantees.  It is still early in the process and new drivers are being added daily.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
VPCZ21USER
Visitor

Hi thereBlencogo - thanks for the interest:

Here are the answers to your questions:

Full Vaio Model

VPCZ21V9E

How have you upgraded to Windows 8 - Clean Install, Migration (“Keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps.”)

I had Windows 7 64, which I upgraded to Win 8 Preview, then migrated to the full version on October 26th. Since then I have been re-installing everything I use... a lengthy and frustrating procedure. I'm an inveterate early adopter, and am quite used to the frustrations. For instance: My Internet security supplier hasn't cracked Win 8 compatibility yet, so I've had to make do with another trial version of a different supplier.

Have you reinstalled/updated VAIO Smart Network Update 3.12 - 3.12.0.08100?

This was the latest version (Win 8 upgrade version) that I have downloaded. I installed. Unfortunately this verison of VSN doesn't want to run. Even when I use 'run as admin' directly on the .exe file it blanks me.

Is the wireless light illuminated with the physical switch ON and only WWAN selected in Vaio Smart Network?

Wiresless is on, and the Wifi works fine. As I cannot open VSN I cannot check to see if there is a switch and what it is set to.

I assume you have reinstalled 'WWAN Connection Manager' and 'WWAN Driver' from the Windows 7 preinstalled drivers?

Yes - your assumption is correct. I have downloaded and installed all the drivers etc. I have been running the Win8 update programme as well, on a daily basis.

Have you re-seated the SIM card as there have been some poor connection reports?

Sorry - I've been trying that too. I know that some people using the Vaio S had issues with ill-fitting SIM carriers, but I have tried 2 SIM's and have re-inserted a few time.

What other drivers have you installed?

See above. I have installed, or re-installed all the ones on the support site downloads for Win8 upgrades.

As I have said, I will ask the question in the hope of an answer but we have no guarantees.  It is still early in the process and new drivers are being added daily.

Many thanks

Dicky

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dicky.

As I said, I will ask the question and see if we get help even though Sony do not offer any support for the Windows 8 upgrade on your model.

From your reply, it seems that you need to get VSN to run.  The default settings in VSN are WiFi ON, WWAN OFF, Bluetooth OFF so the 3g WWAN cannot work if the software switch is turned off.

The reason I asked about your upgrade route is because I wonder if VAIO Smart Network Update 3.12 - 3.12.0.08100 is just an update and needs both the original preinstalled version and the previous update version (3.10) to be installed to function correctly?  Did VSN not get migrated somewhere along the line?

:thinking:

profile.country.de_DE.title
strumpizill
Visitor

Hi,

I am unfortunately not able to help you, but your experiences are very valuable for all VPCZ21-users trying to upgrade to windows 8. Trying the same without the way over the preview upgrade to windows 8, I made the experience, that even after deinstallation of all incompatible drivers found by windows-8 the system freezes after the first start of windows 8 during the new preparation of devices. A complete new installation of windows 8 without previous drivers and configurations works without freezing, but than it seems to be impossible to get the correct driver installations etc. without detailed instructions. Perhaps a step between these both states could be a deinstallation of possible critival drivers not found by the windows-8-proof to prevent this freezing.

The described freezing occurs after a windows-7 original sony recovery installation too.

It would be very kind, if you could give further details in this direction.

Thank you for help

strumpuzill

Nachricht geändert durch strumpizill

changed to more detailed questions