Join now - be part of our community!

Can't convert to Atrac3plus64 with SonicStage 2.3

Snalko
Visitor

Can't convert to Atrac3plus64 with SonicStage 2.3

Okay I am really happy with the firmware update, everything works fine, but now I can't get my mp3 files (mostly 192kbps) into the Atrac3plus64 format. With the 2.1 SonicStage I could do this, I prefer the Atrac3plus64 format, sounds good and more files on the Vaio Pocket.
I have tried everything, but I can't get it right, I.ve changed the transfer mode into Atrac3plus64 but it comes in the same bitrate on the Pocket, 192kbps stays 192kbps.
Only when I convert cd,s then it converts to Atrac3plus64, that's okay of course but I wan't my mp3 files on my pc also in Atrac3plus64 on my Vaio Pocket.
The only way now is to install the older version of SonicStage 2.1.
Has anybody a solution besides installing the older version again, do I something completely wrong, please I need an answer for this problem.

Thank You, ( I love my Vaio Pocket, great update!)

6 REPLIES 6
Hellz_Virtue
Visitor

Yeah I completely agree. Fair enough, the firmware update is superb (obviously a few things still not done :smileytongue:) but I bought the VAIO Pocket because ATRAC3 made my music collection take up 5GB on the VAIO instead of 8.5GB on another mp3 player. I have tried using SonicStage v2.3, and VAIO Music Transfer software and I cannot get any music onto the VAIO as ATRAC3 132kbps.
I am going to try out the MP3 Conversion Tool on the USA Sony website, to convert the MP3's into ATRAC3 separately, then transfer the .OMG onto the VAIO through SonicStage. I'll post soon on how it goes.

Snalko
Visitor

Yeah I completely agree. Fair enough, the firmware update is superb (obviously a few things still not done :smileytongue:) but I bought the VAIO Pocket because ATRAC3 made my music collection take up 5GB on the VAIO instead of 8.5GB on another mp3 player. I have tried using SonicStage v2.3, and VAIO Music Transfer software and I cannot get any music onto the VAIO as ATRAC3 132kbps. 
I am going to try out the MP3 Conversion Tool on the USA Sony website, to convert the MP3's into ATRAC3 separately, then transfer the .OMG onto the VAIO through SonicStage. I'll post soon on how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion of the conversion tool, I am going to try it out too.

Hellz_Virtue
Visitor

Erm, I tried it out, but I you can only convert to ATRAC3Plus, which for you is great but for me is useless.
***NOTE: don't get your hopes up halfway through this, it doesnt work (at least it didnt for me). ***
When the conversion tool has finished converting, go into wherever you keep your .OMA and .OMG music files (Sony Corporation\SonicStage\Packages\Optimised Files - they will be in there). You then import these files into your Library in SonicStage, and go about transferring them to the VAIO Pocket.
However, i have just realised that this doesnt really work. When you import the converted file into SonicStage, it carries the original MP3 file along with it. When you go to transfer it to the VAIO, it transfers the MP3 file and not the ATRAC3Plus file. This really does stink. If anyone can give us some help on this we'd be really grateful, as I doubt im actually going to put MP3's on my VAIO Pocket, as useful as it is.

Snalko
Visitor

Erm, I tried it out, but I you can only convert to ATRAC3Plus, which for you is great but for me is useless. 
***NOTE: don't get your hopes up halfway through this, it doesnt work (at least it didnt for me). ***
When the conversion tool has finished converting, go into wherever you keep your .OMA and .OMG music files (Sony Corporation\SonicStage\Packages\Optimised Files - they will be in there). You then import these files into your Library in SonicStage, and go about transferring them to the VAIO Pocket.
However, i have just realised that this doesnt really work. When you import the converted file into SonicStage, it carries the original MP3 file along with it. When you go to transfer it to the VAIO, it transfers the MP3 file and not the ATRAC3Plus file. This really does stink. If anyone can give us some help on this we'd be really grateful, as I doubt im actually going to put MP3's on my VAIO Pocket, as useful as it is.

You're right, it stinks, didn't work with me either, hoping someone has an idea to solve this otherwise I'll install 2.1 again.

kadafi
Visitor

I had the same problem guys, I don't know how it happened but I think the next day after getting my vaio pocket, I was told my database was corrupt and had to be restored... i was prompted to uninstall sonicstage, and then reinstall it. My database was restored during the process (this is only because I was prompted, uninstalling and re-installing sonicstage may not help by itself).

Even then, out of my 20GB library, around 200 mp3s weren't converted.

My point is this problem is two-fold:

a.) Your sonicstage database may be corrupt, in which case I will search several threads on a solution to manually restoring it.. please be patient I will come up soon with this solution (hopefully :smileygrin: )

b.) SonicStage DOES NOT like some mp3 files (i think these are mostly VBRs).. There are 3 possible solutions I have discovered:

b.i.) Check the tags (tag&Rename 3.5 is excellent for this)

b.ii.) Burn to CD and re-rip as ATRAC3Plus (Not the best for a 20GB library though :devil: )

c.) Simply copy these mp3s "as is" to the Vaio Pocket, they play great there and at least you are sure there is no integrety degradation.. I had to do that myself when a bunch of my mp3 library wont convert.. but I must say
It works excellent! It's all semi-properly tagged (for want of a better word) under the groups sub-menu of the vaio pocket

I hope this helps....

:devil:

Snalko
Visitor

Thanks Kadaffi, It's not the most simple way, but I got already a lot off albums burned on cd so I can go ahead for a while.
For now it's the only way to get mp3 in my favorite Atrac3plus64 format, hope that Sony fixes it in a future update off SonicStage though.

(Still Sony Vaoi Pocket is for me absolutely the best alround HD musicplayer)

But what about carying cases fot the Pocket, and a special cable that can replace the dockingstation, or can I buy a dockingstation extra, that kind off stuff I am waiting for, specially a carryingcase in nice leather where I can keep my treasured Pocket scratchfree on the road.

Sony you did a great job with the firmwareupdate now the accesoires please!