Join now - be part of our community!

BX197XP - too noisy and to hot !

aberkati
Visitor

BX197XP - too noisy and to hot !

:slight_frown:

i just bought the VGN BX197XP and after initially being very happy straight away noticed that the fan is very very very noisy. to the point ur head hurts! i thought this laptop was suppose to be the best .... a business mans laptop but how can anyone take it seriously with the amount of noise it produces! .... its like a jet engine!

.... also the laptop gets very hot. within say 5 mins even if im not doing anything, no progs on etc.

Please can anyone tell me, is this normal ? do any other BX197 owners have similar probs?

i honestly can not take this laptop any much longer and if i cannot find a solution im gonna throw it in the bin!

sony wtf !

22 REPLIES 22
pternstrom
Visitor

I bought my BX 197XP just about a month ago.

Must say I am NOT a happy customer. Upgrading from the previous A197 was an expensive mistake. Let me give you four reasons why you should NOT buy this computer:

4. The computer is noisy, with the fan going on and off all the time.

3. Two hard disks should mean that a Raid 0/1 configuration is possible. This does not to seem to be implemented in the BX 197, meaning a larger single disk with higher RPM is a far better option. Opening the SATA-raid control in the control panel opens up a window with all options greyed out. Yes, my drivers are up-to-date.

2.The second hard disk in the computer spins down, even though power settings are set to "never". This causes the computer to halt for a few seconds when accessing it, while the disk spins up. I access it all the time. Very frustrating.

1 (Top reason): The USB and external monitor connections are on the RIGHT side of the computer, just where you normally use your mouse. The connected cables are in the way of the mouse, and is a terrible ergonomic mistake. Sonys solution is to buy a docking station. No way I am.

I am still looking for solutions on 2 and 3. If any of you have an BX197 and successfully have made the second hard disk NOT to spin down, please contact me. I would also like to have some kind of input from the Sony guys on this.

Peter

masterigor
Visitor

Hi
I also bougth the BX197xp last week, and i am dissapointed. The fan is to noisy, and i get blurry picture connecting to an external monitor (TFT 20 inch)., with standard VGA cable. The guys from Sony are telling me to send them, but it last very long time, and i have to work on it in my company.
I hope, sony will take back this series of notebook and give people money back!
Greetings from Croatia
Igor

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Hi
I also bougth the BX197xp last week, and i am dissapointed. The fan is to noisy, and i get blurry picture connecting to an external monitor (TFT 20 inch)., with standard VGA cable. The guys from Sony are telling me to send them, but it last very long time, and i have to work on it in my company.
I hope, sony will take back this series of notebook and give people money back!
Greetings from Croatia
Igor

Don't be dumb and return that device. Take another labtop instead.
If I have to work with a labtop, then it shouldn't have any fault. Brands are besite the point in things like this.

If you or your company bought a device which doesn't work correctly after the first day. Then sent it back to the reseller and take an replacement. There is no different way and it's our right as a costumer.