Join now - be part of our community!

BX197XP - too noisy and to hot !

aberkati
Visitor

BX197XP - too noisy and to hot !

:slight_frown:

i just bought the VGN BX197XP and after initially being very happy straight away noticed that the fan is very very very noisy. to the point ur head hurts! i thought this laptop was suppose to be the best .... a business mans laptop but how can anyone take it seriously with the amount of noise it produces! .... its like a jet engine!

.... also the laptop gets very hot. within say 5 mins even if im not doing anything, no progs on etc.

Please can anyone tell me, is this normal ? do any other BX197 owners have similar probs?

i honestly can not take this laptop any much longer and if i cannot find a solution im gonna throw it in the bin!

sony wtf !

22 REPLIES 22
aberkati
Visitor

I agree, I bet the original poster wants the optional (but very expensive) wireless mains charger too !grin.gif|___jive_emoticon_name=grin|jivemacro=emoticon|class=jive_macro jive_emote|src=grin.gif!

!grin.gif|___jive_emoticon_name=grin|jivemacro=emoticon|class=jive_macro jive_emote|src=grin.gif!

LOL yes please ........ i assume its noisy too right ?

aberkati
Visitor

I have a TR5MP and its practically silent.

If it really is making you deaf and also burning your fingers when typing, send it back to Sony under warranty - There may be a genuine problem.

the TR5MP is one of the best laptops ive ever seen. tried to find one. do they still make them ? did u get one recently and where? its such a wkd machine...very jealous!

..... im trying to get sony to come around to look at it. its just the noise i cant handle. too much. i cant beleive anyone would think its acceptable. ok if it was a server, but not a machine which u need to be using most of the time - ud go mad with the amount of noise it generates.

carthorian
Visitor

but its noisy straight away and gets very hot within say 5 mins!? even when ive just got it switched on. 

no im sorry u cant be serious. yeah its suppose to be high end with good specs, but what about the noise? how can anyone concentrate with that much noise? that cant be right. its a laptop so it is suppose to be mobile at some level.

i wasnt expecting the noise. i expecting 100% quality from sony. I mean did they test these machine on anyone before putting them on the market? "erm yeah, luv it sony.... great specs.... very high end....er the noise.... nah thats ok.... ill get use to it".

cathorian thank u for the reply btw. appreciate any help i can get. what laptop do u have and whats the fan noise like? like i said before, ive had other vaios and i always bought the high end vaios (the highest specs ones / big ones etc) and never have they made noise like this. its just soo annyoing. u just cant work. id understand if i was working on something which required lots of cpu but this is noise constant even when just idle.

My vaio is a vgn-t2xp /s. I choose this model for it's small size (10.6" screen) and long battery life. Because this system is built for mobility. it makes no sound whatsoever and runs on battery for about 9 hours (after proper configuration).

I'm sure the quality of your notebook is the best, and you'll get way better performance then my t2. The cost for that performance is heat, and heat means a harder working fan.
I understand that it's louder then you expected, ofcourse you could have tested this in the store by standing next to a display-model.

Possible solutions are changing your settings , like Rich912 said:
Have you tried setting the CPU control to adaptive rather than performance? (right power icon in system tray and select Edit/Create Profiles)

If this doesn't work for you, you might try the same as I do at home on my gaming computer, simply play some music at an acceptable volume to take your mind of the fan noise.

aberkati
Visitor

this is an extract from cnet....

Pros:great screen, keyboard, and all other features
Cons:The entire notebook runs hot. Fan is always running.
Full user opinion
This is the second 540B that I have ordered. The first one was sent back due to the fact that the fan was always running. Just received the replacement today. It is also running extremely hot. The fan comes on every 2-3 minutes. Very lound and distracting. The bottom of the notebook is so hot that you could actually burn your hand from an extended touch. The other features on the notebook are great. Screen, features, size, weight, are all satisfactory. I'm curious to see if other users are also having issues with the notebook running too hot.

i didnt realise that cause my laptop is high specs it was going to be very noisy all the time . i expected with sony i could have it all.

oh well, live and learn. thx to the guys who replied. it did help me with what to expect in the future.

im off to buy an IBM :cool:

aberkati
Visitor

carthorian

unfortuntly i ordered from the internet... i went to the shops to see if their models were noisy too but none were selling them only by order. im sure sony will discontinue this model soon if not already.

also :slight_smile: ive got mtv on all the time as a result of the noise.

thx carthorian for ur help. appreciate it.

carthorian
Visitor

Glad to help you. I too had a noisy laptop once. These are mistakes I sadly had to make, but made me more aware of features and knowing what I really want in my laptop. I'm sure this expierence will make you wiser but hopefully won't change your view on Sony. I still believe that they offer great products, they have a great variety and it is up to the user to choose the one that suits him best.

William
Visitor

Unfortunately, I have now owned a TR5 for about 15 months and the only place you could probably get one is Ebay!

Its great, small, but only 40Gb HDD and the processor is slow by todays standards.

At the end of the day it does all I want, its silent and looks great.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

i just bought the VGN BX197XP and after initially being very happy straight away noticed that the fan is very very very noisy. to the point ur head hurts! i thought this laptop was suppose to be the best .... a business mans laptop but how can anyone take it seriously with the amount of noise it produces! .... its like a jet engine!

.... also the laptop gets very hot. within say 5 mins even if im not doing anything, no progs on etc.

Please can anyone tell me, is this normal ? do any other BX197 owners have similar probs?

i honestly can not take this laptop any much longer and if i cannot find a solution im gonna throw it in the bin!

sony wtf !

I ordered a external HDD from Freecom. Freecom itself says its a drive with very low noise. Anyway, mine was faulty and was sounding like a jet-engine too.

Eugenepang
Visitor

i guess there is no such thing as perfect laptop then.. mine (A series) good spec, great screen and silent too but... the letter on the keyboard starting to dissapered just after a month.. :cry:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I believe the TX series is quieter and more portable