Join now - be part of our community!

BX197XP - too noisy and to hot !

aberkati
Visitor

BX197XP - too noisy and to hot !

:slight_frown:

i just bought the VGN BX197XP and after initially being very happy straight away noticed that the fan is very very very noisy. to the point ur head hurts! i thought this laptop was suppose to be the best .... a business mans laptop but how can anyone take it seriously with the amount of noise it produces! .... its like a jet engine!

.... also the laptop gets very hot. within say 5 mins even if im not doing anything, no progs on etc.

Please can anyone tell me, is this normal ? do any other BX197 owners have similar probs?

i honestly can not take this laptop any much longer and if i cannot find a solution im gonna throw it in the bin!

sony wtf !

22 REPLIES 22
Eugenepang
Visitor

well this is what happen when a powerful processor pack in a small unit.. if u want a quieter machine go for A series..

throw into a bin?.. well you can send it to me instead... :smileygrin:

aberkati
Visitor

:slight_smile:

small unit ? the bleeding thing is huge! I can just about pick it up.

.... seriously tho, is this normal? noisy fan and very hot unit ?

i use to luv vaio. this is my fifth unit and it has everything i could want, but the noisy fan is just terriable!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Have you tried setting the CPU control to adaptive rather than performance? (right power icon in system tray and select Edit/Create Profiles)

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
aberkati
Visitor

yep ive tried that. the machine is built like that....its noisy.

i think basically the laptop as far as fan noise is crap. I cant beleive a £1600 + laptop from somebody like sony (who I thought were the best) could have a noisy fan like this, but looking through the forum and google it looks like sony produced a dud here ..... and bascially may or may not imrpove future machines, but for now we have to lump it cause theyre not going to do anything about it.

i think all laptops when they are being advertised for sale should have a catergory for sound, e.g. fan noise. so u know what u are buying and compare against other machines.

sony want me to send it to them for checking, but they reckon its normal and within their standards. if it is ok according to them then it will cost me £40 for them checking and it will take 10-14 days to return my machine !

if any BX197XP readers here, please reply and tell me what their machine is like?

thx

carthorian
Visitor

I don't really know what you expected. You buy a high-end notebook with very good specifications. This ofcourse brings along that your notebook be big and become hotter then a notebook designed for mobility. If a notebook gets hotter ofcourse the fan needs to work harder.

You can't have both, a very good system and a silent one. Some systems might be more silent then yours, but they too will make more noise.

William
Visitor

I don't really know what you expected. You buy a high-end notebook with very good specifications. This ofcourse brings along that your notebook be big and become hotter then a notebook designed for mobility. If a notebook gets hotter ofcourse the fan needs to work harder.

You can't have both, a very good system and a silent one. Some systems might be more silent then yours, but they too will make more noise.

I agree,

Top of the range CPU Power = Heat

The HDD is bigger than the supplied one on my RZ Desktop

I bet the original poster wants the optional (but very expensive) wireless mains charger too :smileygrin:

aberkati
Visitor

but its noisy straight away and gets very hot within say 5 mins!? even when ive just got it switched on.

no im sorry u cant be serious. yeah its suppose to be high end with good specs, but what about the noise? how can anyone concentrate with that much noise? that cant be right. its a laptop so it is suppose to be mobile at some level.

i wasnt expecting the noise. i expecting 100% quality from sony. I mean did they test these machine on anyone before putting them on the market? "erm yeah, luv it sony.... great specs.... very high end....er the noise.... nah thats ok.... ill get use to it".

cathorian thank u for the reply btw. appreciate any help i can get. what laptop do u have and whats the fan noise like? like i said before, ive had other vaios and i always bought the high end vaios (the highest specs ones / big ones etc) and never have they made noise like this. its just soo annyoing. u just cant work. id understand if i was working on something which required lots of cpu but this is noise constant even when just idle.

:slight_frown:

William
Visitor

I have a TR5MP and its practically silent.

If it really is making you deaf and also burning your fingers when typing, send it back to Sony under warranty - There may be a genuine problem.

aberkati
Visitor

I agree, I bet the original poster wants the optional (but very expensive) wireless mains charger too !grin.gif|___jive_emoticon_name=grin|jivemacro=emoticon|class=jive_macro jive_emote|src=grin.gif!

!grin.gif|___jive_emoticon_name=grin|jivemacro=emoticon|class=jive_macro jive_emote|src=grin.gif!

LOL yes please ........ i assume its noisy too right ?