Join now - be part of our community!

Broke my Vaio.... Little help please

wheresmybeaver
Visitor

Broke my Vaio.... Little help please

Hey lads,

Major f**k up at my end... I have an A series and I think I just knackered it... I was moving it onto my desk but I let it slip a bit, putting pressure on the power jack at the back... (its L-shaped so its quite easy to put pressure on it unless you turn it to the side every time you set it down - which I do!). The Vaio went dead at this point, then rebooted. I thought everything was grand, but now I see that the power adapter isn't connecting and the laptop can only run off battery, not the mains. I've tried wiggling the power jack a little but with no luck... it also feels very loose.... I'm pretty sure that the problem isn't the actual cable itself, because it seems fine to me. A connection inside the Vaio itself has evidently broken...

Now, this sounds like a simple enough problem, and Sony support should be able to fix it grand, but I'm worried that they'll wipe the hard drive or something, I haven't done a backup in 2 weeks, and the battery won't last long enough to perform a complete one...

But then I was thinking about the port replicator.. Question is, can I use the port replicator to power it until I've done a complete backup? Or does the replicator connect into the apparently-damaged power socket at the back of my Vaio? I can't tell from any of the photos of the replicator I've seen on the net.

I shut down the Vaio straight away to conserve the battery, but now I've gotta decide which stuff is most important to save before the battery dies...

This is such a balls like!

If anyone has any experience of this, let me know.

Cheers

Dave

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Sorry to hear of your problem!

As far as I can see from this photo the only connections are to the docking station connector on the underside of the notebook.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
wheresmybeaver
Visitor

Yup from that photo I can see that there's another power socket at the back of the replicator.... Situation is a little less serious now anyway because I managed a full backup before the battery died this morning, so I'm not so para about sending the unit back to Sony anymore. Still, could just be easier to pick up a port replicator somewhere (I know a shop nearby that seems to have loads of them that they can't sell - might get one cheap!) and avoid sending it back for repair... I really really need that laptop for school!

Cheers for your help

Dave