Join now - be part of our community!

24h on - good or not good for laptop ?

Gutek
Visitor

24h on - good or not good for laptop ?

Hi,
I'm wondering wheather leaving my Laptop on for all day is bad for it's health. I heard that with Standard PC it's better to live it on for 24 hours then switching it on and off. And what about Laptops ? Is it the same ? Or the temperature is more destructive ?
I've got Sony PCG-K195BP Laptop and I'm not sure if standard Intel Processor is good for 24h running?

Cheers
Gutek

9 REPLIES 9
TygerTyger
Visitor

In theory it shouldn't be a problem, especially if it doesn't overheat, but it's probably best not to leave it on 24/7. If you need it on all the time during the day then that's fine, just turn it off overnight.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

As long as it has pleanty of space to ventilate and you keep an eye on it it should be fine.

feederfan
Visitor

It will be fine but if you are going to use it 24/7 when it is mains powered, take the battery out, that way you wont run the risk of battery leaks and so forth. Also, dont keep the lid closed, as some models generate a lot of heat which can damage the X-Black coating on the screen if they are left on while the lid is closed.

kee-lo_

Definately take the battery out and set the monitor to go off after a few mins if not in use.

Dziga
Visitor

feederfan can I ask where you get this information from regarding moderate heat causing damage to the x-black coating? I regularly do this but am hesitant to stop on the basis of pure speculation.

Psaila
Visitor

24-7 works fine for me ........ has done for many months

You do need to clean vents , fan of dust a try to ensure good air flow all time's . " Dust free area Helps Also . "

As my main¿s powered VAIO PCV-W1/G desktop , I feel safe doing that .

A lop top I¿m sure you would need to be more heat sensitive As Said before " heat which can damage the X-Black coating on the screen if they are left on while the lid is closed."

I would not run your with the screen closed for any at amount of time .

And Even if I close My VAIO PCV-W1/G desktop , My screen still Runs Even In Standby. But It Made To Do Just That .

My Screen is stunning , As fresh As the Day It Arrived (11 months ago ) , I'm very pleased to tell you .

feederfan
Visitor

feederfan can I ask where you get this information from regarding moderate heat causing damage to the x-black coating? I regularly do this but am hesitant to stop on the basis of pure speculation.

Its not speculation, I know that my laptop generates heat from the part above the keyboard, not much, about 30C, but i never take the risk, if i leave my laptop with the lid closed i put it in hibernate. Also, the X-Black technology is a coating, so it is basically a laminate, which filters colours, and laminates tend to be sensitive to heat. It is your choice obviously, but i really wouldnt take the risk, they are very expensive to repair!

kee-lo_

The GRX does this, this is why I don't close the lid when it's in operation.

rikyman
Visitor

I have a Vaio A197VP running as a replacement desktop working 24 hours a day at more than 8 months, till now it´s working fine, I never shut down my Vaio.

So living your laptop allways on it's not a problem, also I rarely shutdown my powerbook 17 and it's older than the Vaio and it's working like new.