Join now - be part of our community!

Wrong title on HDD timer recordings

profile.country.en_GB.title
geturne14
Explorer

Wrong title on HDD timer recordings

I'm using the HDD timer record from Freeview via the EPG on my KDL-24EX320. Although the correct program is recorded, the list of titles usually shows the previous programme name - somewhat confusing!

My theory is that setting the timer via EPG picks up the channel and time from the EPG, but sets a slightly earlier start time (to allow the HDD to be powered up from standby), then the recording picks up the title from the programme currently being broadcast - the previous programme.

Can anyone confirm this?

Software version PKG3.212EUA-10104 (current, I think).

Tags (2)
23 REPLIES 23
kryspz
Visitor

I've got exactly the same problem, really annoying!!

Renzoellul
New

I think you are right. The title of the recording is taken straight from the EPG. If you happen to start the recording say 5 or 10 minutes before the scheduled time the title will be picked up form the previous program. I suppose this cannot be fixed unless sony provides us with a renaming option

Regards

Lawrence

bollinger60
Visitor

I  am having exactly the same problem. I think geturne14 analysis is right. The problem occurs if you use either the EPG or manually set the timer to record at exactly the time the programme is advertised to begin. However, I have found if you manually set the timer record to start a recording 1 minute later than the programme is advertised to begin then the proper title is used ( at least that has always worked so far). Of course, this might mean losing a minute of the programme but I don't think so in most cases.  I have noticed that the timekeeping in the UK on all the networks is remarkably poor. I don't know if this is a uniquely British phenomenon or whether it is more wide-spread, but programmes in the UK frequently begin 1 to 2 minutes later than they are advertised to start. This is not just about adverts as it happens on the BBC and it has nothing to do with live programmes such as sports as it often happens when no such live programmes have been showing previous to the recorded programme. Indeed the only programmes that begin exactly as they are advertised are News broadcasts. Perhaps in Japan they are more punctual than we Brits :laughing: and they expect all their programmes to begin exactly as they advertised. If so I am pessimistic that there will be any easy fix to this problem. Sony could claim the product is behaving properly. They may say it is just that there is a curious mismatch between the programme's actual starting time and what has been advertised( as appears on the EPG). It is deeply annoying though. My HDD has a capacity of 1000gb and I could create a substantial list of recorded programmes. Think how confusing it will be to review a list where none of the titles match the programmes recorded. Maybe Sony could consider providing a way of editing the title of the recording, but I suspect that will be for models of TV other than the one I have purchased :cry:

Message was edited by: bollinger60

mezzamorphis
Visitor

I'm having the same issue with recorded TV file names having the name of the show beforehand. I posted on here back in April about the issue but didn't get a single response so decided to contact Sony support who were less than helpful in their response which was basically 'deal with it, we might fix it in a future update' so I gave up.

Still, it is quite annoying, especially when we've recorded a number of shows and have to start each one in turn to find the one we actually want to watch. 🙂

Fingers crossed for a fix at some point in the future!

profile.country.ro_RO.title
blue2622
Visitor

any news? I'm stuck with my HDD full of wrong titles that I can't change them!! It's really a pain to search something there.

mezzamorphis
Visitor

No news as far as I'm aware. We're still opening each title in turn to find the programme that we want to watch. I must say that I'm fairly disappointed with Sony’s support of the 2011 ‘Internet TV’ range. We’ve had the TV for almost a year now and still no 4od, ITV Player or any sign of a fix for the recording title problem. Worse still, Sony support didn’t seem interested in passing on the details of the issue to their engineers in order to get a fix pushed out.

On top of this, the recent Netflix announcement leaves me rather worried that future support for the 2011 range is going to soon disappear. I doubt we’ll be buying another Sony device in the future and will probably go with something like the Roku instead.

profile.country.GB.title
dmart7
Explorer

I am a long-time Sony fan but this really puts them in a bad light.  I see others have had this problem for nearly a year.  I complained to Sony last week but they claimed that it is the fault of the broadcaster!  Clearly, this is just their way of saying they are not about to fix it.  I have little doubt that this could be fixed with a software/firmware fix.  Treating their customers like this will eventually hurt them.

drhowells
New

I am also a Sony fan and have stood up for them in other threads....but I really don't get this one. I don't understand how this could be a broadcaster issue and even if it was, I am sure they could work around it. I don't use this functionality because of this issue. I had a list of recordings and I had no idea what any of them were. This really does need sorting.

geturne14
Explorer

As you say, almost a year since the original post, half a dozen firmware updates but still no acknowledgement of the problem from Sony. And given their record, the 2011 model TV's probably won't get updates for much longer, so I don't ever expect a resolution. Instead they waste their time adding widgets I don't use! (Mind you, this problem isn't half as annoying as the absence of 4OD and ITVPlayer).

I no longer use the EPG / Set Timer function to record; I now always set the timer manually. I set the program start time a couple of minutes later than the EPG start time - and also add a few minutes to the end time.  This way I usually get the right title - although I may miss the opening credits - and I don't miss the final scenes (which often happened when using the EPG timer).

I did try to have a look at the HDD format, to see if the recordings could be renamed. As far as I can see, the HDD is set up with Linux partitions, which use a FAT filesystem. And I couldn't find a Windows utility that read these!  Anyone out there with Linux want to have a go?