Join now - be part of our community!

Using a network HDD for pause function

profile.country.en_GB.title
Cayman_London
Visitor

Using a network HDD for pause function

I would like to be able to use the pause TV function on my Sony Bravia KDL 46HX823.

I have it connected to my network through a Netgear 10/100 switch. The network includes a 2TB external HDD (also has a back up).

I believe that if I connect a HDD to the Bravia by USB I can then use the pause TV function as it will start recording on the HDD.

However, I can't work out how to get it to use the Networked HDD to do the same function.

The TV can definitely see the Netowrked HDD as I can play Vodcasts off it.

Any ideas on how I can do this without having to buy a new USB HDD or a TiVo style VirginMedia set-top box?

Set up diagram...

TV ---cat5--- Netgear Switch ---cat5--- HDD

---hdmi--- Sony BR ---cat5--- Netgear Switch ---cat5--- HDD

---hdmi--- VirginMedia HD box

---wifi--- Router ---cat5--- NetGear Switch ---cat5--- HDD

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

The short answer for that is; no you cannot. The TV does not support PVR to a network shared disk. It is able to see network devices and play from them but not use networked disk space. I think that it would be very hard find any commercial TV, Optical disk player or this sort of entertainment devices which will be happy to access shared disks over the network. When I say shared disk I this sort of sharing which is quite common with computers. If I am wrong someone will jump and correct me.