Join now - be part of our community!

Table top stand KDL-42W705B

profile.country.GB.title
kairvin82
Explorer

Table top stand KDL-42W705B

I am interested in getting a table top swivel stand so that we have a sound base. We have a Sony Bravia KDL-42W705B and I’m not sure if the stand below (see link below) can be used with it. I just can’t see how it would fit. I can’t figure out where the mounting holes are either, other then the two plugs near the top of the back. All that I can find online refers to wall mounting, nothing about fitting a table top stand to this TV. The Sony website stated the VESA is 200 x 100, but again only refers to wall mounting. Is anyone able to advise on this please?

Also, instead instead of us buying a stand, can anyone recommend a soundbase (not a soundbar) that the existing TV & stand could sit on top of? It’s 2 legs splay out at the back and at the front it’s a long piece curved at the sides (see pic below), thus the soundbase, which is more suitable to this set up than a soundbar. Many thanks for your help and advice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07R1GR6VJ/?coliid=IV2PZ0IEAOVL5&colid=397R7TO795W24&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_li...

D4740B20-FE22-4A3A-BCF2-E5126F15014D.jpeg

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@kairvin82 

In effect, you would be ‘wall mounting’ the TV on this stand, which is why it talks about that.

A close inspection of the Amazon entry in the link will show you, if you scroll down, that the vertical arms can be moved inwards from 400mm down to 100mm, and that is how the stand is VESA-compatible for all those different sizes.

A few questions for you though, before a soundbase can be suggested:-

Do you really need the stand to swivel? 
Why are you not considering a soundbar, possibly with your existing stand, as you will have a great deal more choice than of soundbases?

If you do want a soundbase, though, what is the footprint of the existing stand for your TV, as pictured, measured side to side and front to back?

A soundbase I might choose, and would certainly consider, is the Q Acoustics M2, 9h x 55w x 34d, all cms.

The 42w x 26d cms of the Bontec stand would certainly fit on it.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
kairvin82
Explorer

@royabrown2

Thanks very much for your speedy reply. Unfortunately I was unable to look at this yesterday. I understand completely about the wall mounting now you've explained it.

I've now had a reply from the Amazon supplier who confirmed that the Amazon stand is suitable to be fitted to our TV.  

In response to your questions about our requirement for a soundbase -

A swivel stand isn't essential, just nice to have. The same stand is available in a fixed version. 

We have looked at soundbars in the past, but due to the style and depth of our TV's base legs it's not possible for our TV to sit on top of one. Also, the position of the on/off IR reader means that a soundbar can't be placed in front of the TV as it blocks access to this.

My husband's hearing is not great, so we thought the additional bass associated with a soundbase would help with this, since we don't want to add any further speakers. Additionally, due to the awkward spread of the TV base's footprint, we figured that a soundbase would be more likely to have sufficient space for the TV to sit on top of it. Installing the Amazon stand would allow a soundbase to sit on top of it. A sound bar would also be able to sit on top of it, so that might be something we could revisit. 

I need to check the size of the footprint and get back to you later. I will also look at your suggested soundbase, thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@kairvin82 

Thanks in turn for your reply.

Some soundbars have an IR repeater on the back, something I found necessary with our Sony TV, but a soundbar only needs to be a little taller than usual and it will obscure the bottom of the screen on these very low profile Sony TVs.

But a point to consider is that if you get the stand you are looking at, you will be able to mount the TV those few centimetres higher that would clear a soundbar, so you could use one with it.

Either a soundbar or a soundbase (you wouldn’t need both!) would certainly improve things for your husband. Though not as much, perhaps, as having subtitles on wherever possible 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
kairvin82
Explorer

@royabrown2

Thanks for the extra info about the IR repeater. Very useful to know.

The TV stand supplier has confirmed it is fine for our TV, but I discovered we will also need to also buy an adapter kit (just a few screws and washers) to allow us to fit it. Rip off!

Yes, the whole point of us getting a stand like this is to allow us to get either a soundbar or a soundbase. He's replacing his current set of wireless headphones for the hifi with a new set, so I also want to look into being able to connect the base for those into either the TV or the soundbar/ soundbase. I'm hoping I'd then be able to listen at a lower level if he was wearing the headphones at the same time. 

To give you an idea of the difference in our hearing levels, I listen at 14 or 15 volume and he listens at twice that! No not the dreaded subtitles, please, anything but that, lol 😹😹😹

Thanks ever so much for your advice. Very much appreciated. 😁