Join now - be part of our community!

SVR-HDT1000 Issues (2014)

vankuyk
Explorer

SVR-HDT1000 Issues (2014)

I tried to email customer support via the Sony website, but it doesn't work (a common theme with Sony?), so I am trying on here instead.

I have had minor problems with my SVR-HDT1000 (Bravia Synch and scheduled recordings not recording) since I bought this product a couple of years ago, however nothing was significant enough to really be an issue. They were annoying when they happened, but not to the extent that I looked for an alternative box.

Recently however I have started experiencing playback problems involving black screens, juddering and poor sound synch. Initially i thought it was the TV signal at the time of recording, however watching other programmes recorded from different channels and at different times (a year prior in one case) I concluded that it was the PVR. I read the community pages on the Sony website which recommended checking the firmware was up to date, running the disk repair and rebooting.

I did this and the 500GB of un-watched recorded programmes has been wiped from the hard drive! I have no idea if the problems persist as I have no programs to test with. Why did this happen? All of the operating system and timer schedules are still there, but none of the recorded programmes. The HDD is empty! If the repair disk function erases everything, why was there no warning?

When did Sony products get so poor in quality? I have been using Sony products since the 80s and have never had as many problems in total as I do with this single PVR!

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have the SVR-HDT500 recorder and I have to agree with you.  Its been a pain in the (_*_) ever since I got it.  When it works, its great.  However I have been plagues with HDMI handshake issues and poor tuner reception since day one.  And continues to be a problem. 

On to your problem.  Im sure I have done a repair disk on mine before hand and has not wiped any previous data (and the manual confirms this, page 37 HERE).  Turn the box off from the powerpoint and leave for 5 mins and switch it on again.

Do another repair disk and see if this resolves any issues. If not, reset back to factory default

All else fails, and If you still havnt got any data etc, it might be best to use the format function on the recorder and litterally start again.

Cheers

vankuyk
Explorer

This HDD Recorder really is a piece of crap!

Ran the "repair" options etc and seemed to be back to normal again... for 2 weeks.

Problems playing back recordings, black screen, "disk error" messages. It says that the HDD is empty one minute, then shows content the next.

It is completely unusable as there is no way to know if it is recording what it says it's recording, or whether it will play it back if it has recorded.

A complete waste of money and no word back from Sony!

vankuyk
Explorer

This is ridiculous!

The Sony "Contact Us" page doesn't work! Why can't they just supply an email address?

georgest
Explorer

Can anyone tell me how to reformat my external USB drive that I have been using with the SVR-HDT1000 so that it can be returned to use with a PC?

I have deleted all the SVR data by formatting it using the SVR, but my PC will not now show that the external drive is connected and therefore I cannot format it for normal use on my PC.

georgest
Explorer

'Return External USB Drive from SVR use to normal PC use'

SOLVED the problem with help via an internet search.