Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-49X7052 - cannot watch any HD via Freeview. SD channels are fine

profile.country.GB.title
MrRoberts69
Explorer

Sony KD-49X7052 - cannot watch any HD via Freeview. SD channels are fine

I have a Sony KD-49X7052 with strong fibre broadband (130Mbps) and newly installed TV aerial cable. Sony TV picked up all the channels with 98% strength. I have the latest firmware as of 01/07/2021

I can watch any SD channels just fine. HD channels just froze, distorted and crackly noises. 

Checked with Google that the HD issue is down to the firmware. Is that true? Sony handles HD badly?

Please help. Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
MrRoberts69
Explorer

40 views and no help?

I will return the TV for a different brand.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What did you check with google? I've never heard that Sony tuners have any problems with mpeg4 encoding

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@MrRoberts69 

I think if Sony TVs had a generic problem with HD, we would have heard rather more about it by now.

But it is possible your set has a faulty DVB-T2 tuner; this would give you bad HD, while the SD over the DVB-T tuner is fine.

However, I suggest you first explore the ‘new aerial’, as this could equally well be the item at fault here.

Or are you on one of these transmitters?

https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/planned-engineering-works

BTW, your broadband is irrelevant to this issue.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

@MrRoberts69 I didn't read before that Sony has problems with the quality of HD terrestrial channels, do you have any other TV so you can test the same Ariel with?