Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

In my experience of these sets half finished is far too much of a compliment to give the incompetent bunch of nerds who dreamt up the operating system of these sets.

And now they have the audacity to kill sideview off.

Class action anyone, time to give these ***** a bit of their own medicine.

Great set ruined by the "could't give a f.... attitude" of SONY!

Bikerdiverman

Youre not doing anything wrong.  The Sony TV has an EPG that does not work. The chanel information is contained in teh satalite sygnal, however, Sony cannot be bothered to write descent software to polulate this information.  Therer have been numerouse posts about this over that past cpuple of years and Sont have done nothing about it. I for one will never buy a Sony TV again.

Should have bought the Pioneer which works perfectly!

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Well today was the day they pulled the plug on their sideview app providing a reasonable EPG for their TVS.

SHAME ON YOU SONY

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

@geoffs4 Personally I don't think it's the os but the implementation or lack thereof.  The latest update is giving regular messages about Sonyxyz service stopped or no working.  These guys are clowns and the sad part is they have no representation on this forum.

I'd love to have a class action but fear that small print that could tie it up for years. I am positive that the specs for my set stated that EPG was operational for multiple sources.

In my case in future I will buy elsewhere and recommend to every friend I have to do likewise.  Used to have Sony devices everywhere, as they get recycled I look forward to giving my business to a company who can be bothered with customer care and satisfaction..  When are the reviewers of this kit going to start to do a propper job and point out these failings?

Seriously Cheesed off  user

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

@orwell84  Yes i would agree, Android has its bugs, but the firmware Sony have written to operate on the platform is the issue.

I have started sending them simila messages on twitter to their various operations, maybe someone will listen one day

Take care.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Hi all

Just bought a KD-49XE9005 which is a 2017 model of the Bravia, did an autotune on the satellite (I knew the EPG was going to be iffy when I bought it so not that angry at Sony) and it found everything and we can see all the channels with the EPG blank as expected but does appear to popluate one by one when you switch to a channel. All the channel names are there and it seems to have put all the 'Freesat' ones in the correct places. 

My real query is if Gracenote is no longer used, how come my retail box for the XE90 actually has the Gracenote logo on the packaging? Is that just wrong or is there some clever way to access the EPG or has Gracenote done what it will do by tuning and putting the channels in order?

Curious more than anything.

Cheers,

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Yes, thats what they all do.

Gracenote on the box but they don't even use it.

Sony have screwed up big time and can't admit it because it would take too much effort and they would have to spend money.

RobH291
Explorer

It is sloe to react to commands
Turns itself on and off and is poor compared to my old Samsung

Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Really happy with my 49XE9005 personally. The Android TV is fast and responsive. It's a pity there is no satellite EPG but it's usable.

profile.country.GB.title
phil_75
Explorer

20170611_134829.jpgHad the exact same problem with EPG not populating, also extremely laggy UI and lately TV just restarting every few minutes. 

Sony are a complete joke. 

The processor and/or RAM is way too slow and small. 

Anyway i have managed to sort it with a hard reset, unplug TV from mains for a minute or two, turn on, wait a minute then hold up on TV remote and turn TV off and back on via TV standby button. 

Set TV up now all my Satellite EPG is completely populated, some channels you have to assign the correct name but once done everything is completely sorted now. 

Btw it does say "Powered by Gracenote" in top right corner. 

I have disabled auto updates for software as im pretty sure it all started with the v3.004 software for me as it was working ok before. (KDL-48W705C connected to router via LAN)