Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I understand that you are disappointed, but Sony's TVs are Freeview and marketed as such.  Even though Sony includes a satellite tuner, these TVs as not Freesat.  Freesat is the company/brand behind the free-to-air satellite EPG.

If you were mis-sold your TV then you will need to take this up with the retailer you purchased it from.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Ok, I hear what you say, but why does it part work?

It must be getting this information from somewhere?

So in order to get a working EPG I have to get an aerial on a 40 foot stick
on my roof at considerable cost and then it will only work on Freeview

If Sony have created software that allows HDD recording that only works on
what you are currently watching and not the ability to select a program in
the future what use is that?

Come on Sony sort the Freesat EPG out!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just google something like 'no information on satellite epg' 

I can only assume that there is minimal metadata being transmitted along with the tv program itself - but i really dont know how it pulls this info - its a basic epg.

HDD recording is basically ment for Freeview - its a freeview tv after all.  

If you need a satellite epg, you will need to invest in a freesat box.  See http://www.freesat.co.uk

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

Quinnicus

I disagree with your point on its the retailer that has mislead us over the satellite EPG, its Sony who is misleading the consumer. Yes the retailer may have said its got a Freesat tuner but that's not the point.

Yes there is a difference between Freesat and the satellite receivers build into these 2015 TV's which people often do not understand the difference, however they are marketed with an EPG on satellite. Agreed its not a Freesat EPG, but an EPG nevertheless, and the point is, it doesn't work.

So the questions to which we all want an answer to;

1. Are we going to get a fully functional EPG in a later update.

2. Is the channel edit and ordering memory function problems going to fixed.

A simple yes or no answer is all most of us require to make the decision to continue with the these TV's or return them for another manufacturers with the function set we all individually need.

Myself I don't mind if its Freesat or not as long as it has a fully working EPG and the editing and memory functions work and don't keep reverting to default within days if not within hours after any changes. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@m502cbk - i understand the point you are making.  Last night, i sent a message to Sony to see if they can clarify a few things over satellite EPG etc.  Im hoping they will release a FAQ or a statement informing everyone on thier position over this.

profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

Quinnicus

Thank you for your quick answer and the action you have taken.

I live in hope we get the right result as I mirror others comments on here that these TV's have excellent pictures, why I've stuck with it, completely ruined by the appalling firmware and the totally inadequate updates to fix it.

However patience does have its limits. 

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Hi all,

Had a bit of a breakthru this evening and thought to pass it on to you all.

Because there are so many features on these sets i have been gradually working my way through them all pickiing out the best and dumping the rest.

Anyway, i downloaded and connected the sideview app to my android tablet and have been using it as a glorified remote control.

New here is the good bit!  The EPG it has (not the TV one) can see all the programs and can be searched up to 7 days ahead, but also with the sets now having the HDD record function you can also set a timer from the app that goes into the TV recording list.

So while it is not on the TV itself, you can get an EPG and use the record function!

Hope this helps a few of you.

Thanks to Quiniccus to persevering with Sony technical on our behalfs, Never know we may get the "perfect" TV software!!

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

Hi Geoffs4

This is also the workaround that I found.  It's OK but not exactly what you expect from a leading manufacturer.  What frustrated me is I also have a perfectly functioning Sony 2014 model which has a Guide Launch and Search option which finds all the program data on the internet.  The 2015 Android model  finds some data and even suggests programs in the future to record but then tells you that no such program is in the Guide!  Simply put this is poor software implementation.  

I too don't care about the EPG being freesat but I am upset that Sony think it's OK to take a retrograde step with the features of newer TVs by releasing them before the software is complete!

I quote exactly from the features in Sony list of the TV I was sold : - 

Electronic Program Guide (EPG)YES

and

DVB-T (digital terrestrial)YES
DVB-T2 (digital terrestrial)YES
DVB-S (digital satellite)YES
DVB-S2 (digital satellite)YES

no mention is made of any problems or limitations [ not that I would expect this since the 2014 model works fine].

I think all we are looking from Sony is that the spec of the 2015 model will be brought up to the spec of the 2014 model;  not too much to ask.

Thanks for listening.  I appreciate any efforts that can be made to get a statement from Sony.

Thx

profile.country.GB.title
TFFZeldar
Explorer

I too have this problem with the KDL43W805CBU.A  and have spent 3 hours so far on calls with Sony support, doing the usuall resets, disable this, factory that, so on!. currently waiting for level 3 support to make contact.

I do wish sony would sort this problem or at least. post a fix allowing a direct replacement for the current epg to be installed. Very un-proffesional in my opinion.    We live in hope that the powers that be read these posts. ;(

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TFFZeldar - no need to reset the tv on this, as that is not the fault.  Technically there isnt a fault and the TV is functioning as per design - however as i mentioned above, im still awaiting  an 'official' response over this that I can share.