Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
ashcraig
New

I have just purchased a KD55X8509CBU. Asked for a set with both freeview and freesat, wanted to up grade from my KDL40W5810.

Having spent an hour or so trying to set it up (freesat) gave up and looked at this site for a solution.

Most dissapointed, the satellite function and EPG is a massive step backwards, almost useless.

Will be returning it tomorrow and looking to get a Panasonic or Samsung.

Sony needs to look at this issue as it will drive previous customers away.

Bikerdiverman

The issue with sony Bravia TV's not populating the satalite EPG properly can be resolved. Sony just need to write their software correctly.

The Bravia 49x8309C that I purchased on boxing day has this problem and other inconsistencies in the software. The Sony spec states that it has both terestrial and Satalite tuners, which it has, great no need for a seperate satalite box.  

The You VIew softwaer is terestrial only WHY? when there are 2 tuners which both capture the signal and all of the program information from both terestrial TV and Satalite TV. 

All off the program information is available for each satalite chanel. If you are watching a particular chanel and click guide, all of the programing information for that chanel is displayed. However many of the other chanels,, which seem to be ordered in the order the satalite tuned to them, and not any logical order, show No information.

If you click on any of the chanels showing No info available in the EPG, and then select to view the chanel in the pup up window, that program running on that particular satalite chanel is displayed. If you then again click the guide button, all of the program information is there in the guide. So it apears that the program information from the satalite is only downloaded to the Sony satalite EPG when a chanel is selected. Somewhat missing the point of an electronic program guide.

Therefore in my opinion Sony need to provide a satalite EPG that populates with all of this available satalite program information in a sensible format when the TV is powered on, like Freesat boxes do.

This information should be stored in memory, only needing changes to be downloaded when next powered on.  This could be an update to the built in guide, a revision of the You View app, or a seperate Satalite Guide Android app.

This is a software issue, which can be resolved by sony. Thay need to do it!

I personaly bought this TV precicesly because it has both terestrial and satalite tuners built in as I live in an area with no retestrial signal.  I am astonished that a premium brand like Sony think it is ok to only provide a descent EPG for terestrial chanels, whilst expecting satalite users to put up with a useles EPG. Sony need to pull their finger out and fix this urgently as a software upgrade.

Other than these software issues I am delighted with my new TV.

The question is when will sony update the software to provide a descent user friendly satalite EPG?

Praxis
Explorer

Yes, think this is relevant for pre 2015??

I have a 65x8059c 4k theres no "options" that i can click on

At the moment i am just clicking on Guide, then TV Selections and just selecting from the popular on air and tonight sections

Praxis
Explorer

Gracenote actually powers the Program Guide for the 2015 4k set i have - 65X8509c

So this should not be an issue, but it is.....

pls fix it Sony

Bikerdiverman

Just spent 700 quid on a TV with a usless guide.  I have every right to be anoyed and feel missled. Sony can and should fix this.

Why would any manufacturer quote a satalite and terestrial tuner is bulit in in their spec, from which a reasonable person would asume the satalite tuner also has a working gide, and then simply not bother to provide a working system, there is no excise. Sony must fix this or loose custom.

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

It is not true as an earlier poster stated that Gracenote is no longer on Sony TVs.  I have an Android TV 2015 KD-43X8307C and the guide states that it is powered by Gracenote.  I also have the older model in which the same problem is solved by the "launch and search" option but this is not available on the newer AndroidTV.  

This is simply poor implementation.  Lots of useful feature in the newer TVs but you have to get the basics right first Sony, first and foremost it is a TV and that is what most users expect.  I bought a new Sony becasue the 2014 model worked as I wanted but now find that the newer model is a retrograde step in terms pf the Guide information.  The system is connected to the Internet but no guide data unless you visit the channel or a family of channels i.e. ITV and then only now and next.  I get data about what is coming up today in the TV Highlights secttion but if I select a reminder then it compains I should select something from the Guide!!!  At the moment I am using Sideview instead of the guide some of the time but it is smallon on a mobile phone and I don;t see why I have to invest in a tablet just to have a working TV Guide and remote that I can see.

We need a statement from Sony about this and if this will be resolved in the  Feb 2016 update.

geoffdwood
Explorer

I have bought a KD- 49x8305c tv, and connected a HT- CT380 sound bar. My problem is that I my wife uses a loop amplifier, which is connected to the TV. There is no sound out on the soundbar unfortunately, and the sound bar is slightly behind the the TV sound causing an echo, and therefore unusable.

Any suggestions to overcome this problem? I think the sound bar takes milli seconds to process the sound causeing the problem.

Geoff

Bevy1971
New

Hi I also had this problem probably for about 6 months beginning to think something wrong with my tv NO EVENT INFORMATION AND NO SIGNAL!  TV 32R433B, took it back and same thing was happening.  Touch wood it seems to have corrected itself! although I am having problems with recording.  I even tried ringing freeview and they said as they would not having problems in the area!  I cannot record keeps saying no usb recognized paid out for an external drive and cant get to work!  Hppe you have now got yours sorted if anyone can throw any light on recording and what hdd drive I can use that would be great.

janetthebus
Explorer

Thank you for the information about the guide being up and running again...mine is working now too!

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Ok, i have a KD-55X8509C

Just had the HDD recording update and the EPG is still not working, so making a recording is pretty much useless

I only have a satellite connection (bothe feeds), terrestrial locally is poor to useless.

I have tried all the suggestions and only get random EPG completion, certainly nothing beyond a couple of hours and only one or two channes at best.

Come on Sony get this sorted, i have an ancient freesat recorder sat belaow the TV and that has an EPG on it, so it cannot be that bad.

Very Dissapointed to say the least and now had it four months so little chance of taking it back to the shop!