Join now - be part of our community!

mirror glass

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
mcswell
Explorer

mirror glass

I am starting a project of putting mirror glass in front of a tv and then making a frame to go over the glass like a picture and I want to use the Sony Bravia XR 42A90KU oled tv.I am wondering if the acoustic surface audio screen will work sound wise through the mirror glass. I am not certain but when I attach the 6 mm mirror glass to the front of the tv screen there may be a gap of 1mm or so ,so it will not be in direct contact with it,Any knowledge on this would be great

thanks

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@mcswell 

Why?

Because it’s April Fool’s day?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
mcswell
Explorer

Ha ha

no to hide the tv except when you want to watch it and it shows through the special mirror glass one type is called diaelectric mirror glass

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@mcswell 

Ohmygod, this is a real thing 😛

You will need the 1mm gap, as you surmised, to stop the Acoustic Surface vibrating against the mirror. Apparently, the vibrations from this are almost imperceptible, so 1mm ought to do it.

I have no idea if the mirror will block, or diffuse, the acoustic effect though. My guess is it will, but you could ask the supplier of the mirror about this. Or maybe one of the high-end suppliers, like:-

https://www.overmantels.co.uk/tv-mirrors/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz6ShBhCMARIsAH9A0qUIIjEkRGKxE9Q2NhgEqmgHOtrI...

But doing a bit of the research I should perhaps have done yesterday (though it was a bad day for off-the-wall postings 🤗), the transmissibility of this material seems to be about 65%, so you will likely have to increase the brightness to compensate, and the people selling this stuff seem to focus on Samsung to a man, probably because they go much brighter than OLEDs: so be aware of this with a Sony OLED.

profile.country.GB.title
mcswell
Explorer

Hi

Thanks for that info ,I have asked sony as well as to the sound situation,I have realised of course that I could plug a soundbar in and turn the screen speaker off,But I think the brightness of the screen is the most important although we dont watch much daytime tv if at all.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@mcswell 

Why?

Because it’s April Fool’s day?

profile.country.GB.title
mcswell
Explorer

Ha ha

no to hide the tv except when you want to watch it and it shows through the special mirror glass one type is called diaelectric mirror glass

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@mcswell 

Ohmygod, this is a real thing 😛

You will need the 1mm gap, as you surmised, to stop the Acoustic Surface vibrating against the mirror. Apparently, the vibrations from this are almost imperceptible, so 1mm ought to do it.

I have no idea if the mirror will block, or diffuse, the acoustic effect though. My guess is it will, but you could ask the supplier of the mirror about this. Or maybe one of the high-end suppliers, like:-

https://www.overmantels.co.uk/tv-mirrors/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz6ShBhCMARIsAH9A0qUIIjEkRGKxE9Q2NhgEqmgHOtrI...

But doing a bit of the research I should perhaps have done yesterday (though it was a bad day for off-the-wall postings 🤗), the transmissibility of this material seems to be about 65%, so you will likely have to increase the brightness to compensate, and the people selling this stuff seem to focus on Samsung to a man, probably because they go much brighter than OLEDs: so be aware of this with a Sony OLED.

profile.country.GB.title
mcswell
Explorer

Hi

Thanks for that info ,I have asked sony as well as to the sound situation,I have realised of course that I could plug a soundbar in and turn the screen speaker off,But I think the brightness of the screen is the most important although we dont watch much daytime tv if at all.

Thanks