Join now - be part of our community!

KDL 50w829B ARC outputs stereo

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
akdwivedi
Explorer

KDL 50w829B ARC outputs stereo

I have connected a Sonos Amp to my TV using HDMI ARC connection. I connected two rear surround speakers to Sonos but it did not work so I started investigating further. In the Sonos “About system” page I see the output as “stereo”. 

Does anyone know if the ARC on this model outputs 5.1 channel or not?

Thanks!

Abhi 

Tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Abhi,

in this case the audio from the source might not be encoded with multi channel audio.

Please try with different content.

Cheers

Peter

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Abhi,

It depends on the content you're watching. If the content doesn't contain multichannel audio you will hear only stereo. In addition please make sure that the digital output of your TV isn't set to PCM.

Cheers
Peter

profile.country.GB.title
akdwivedi
Explorer

I am watching content from Netflix (connected via Roku) and some TV shows (also via Roku) and can confirm all of it is 5.1 channel audio.

I recall I don’t have the audio set to PCM, but will check and revert. 

profile.country.GB.title
akdwivedi
Explorer

Hi @Peter_S.

I checked the the audio out is set to “Auto” and not “PCM”. On Sonos Amp I see the Audio in as “Stereo 2.0).

Please guide 😞

Thanks,
Abhi  

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Abhi,

in this case the audio from the source might not be encoded with multi channel audio.

Please try with different content.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
akdwivedi
Explorer

@Peter_S. You were absolutely spot on! For some reason all the media I was playing (even on Netflix) somehow had Stereo audio. Not sure why (may be because of the basic plan I have).

I then played a media on my Plex (via Roku) with a 5.1 channel audio and on Sonos it showed accordingly. 

Thanks once again!