Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-48W705C - Options button doesn't work on HDMI input...

ArchibaldB
Explorer

KDL-48W705C - Options button doesn't work on HDMI input...

So I just got a KDL-48W705C. I love it but... when I'm on an HDMI input (Sky+, basically) none of the set's own onscreen menus work - so pressing Options does nothing, for instance. Switch to Freeview or Component and all this works fine. Am I missing something obvious? (And no, the Sky box isn't plugged into the HDMI MHL port - so that solution isn't for me. )

6 REPLIES 6
ArchibaldB
Explorer

Well, replying to my own post in the option of helping someone else. I eventually figured out that the Sony Bravia Sync option was related to this problem. I visited Settings > External Sync > Sony Bravia Sync and disabled it and bingo - the menus now work on the HDMI inputs.

No idea why this might be but I'm hoping my answer might help others that find themselves similarly frustrated.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi ArchibaldB, what your are describing is a feature not a bug. Your television using bravia sync is able to send all the command directly to the attached device: so if you have a braviasync compatible device (i.e. a Sony Bluray) you can use the tv remote to completely command your device: the option button you press when in HDMI is sent to the device not the TV. You can change the behaviour like you did in the setup (disactivating bravia sync or choosing a lower integration mode) permanently or just once pressing the sync-menu button and choose the option to send the remote command to the TV instead of the device
ArchibaldB
Explorer

Thanks Rooobb. Just a humble opinion, of course, but it would seem to be more senisble make that feature opt in, rather than opt out, as it were. I'm sure many people buy only Sony Bravia gear for their setups but I'm equally sure many don't. Either way, there must be a better way than to make a n00b user think that part of their TV is b0rked...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You may be right but keep in mind that braviasync is hdmi-cec compliant with other manufacturer... it's your device that is not!
But I agree it can confuse people that own even compliant Sony products
ArchibaldB
Explorer

No idea what HDMI-CEC compliant means :wink: ...but *a lot* of people will have Sky boxes. So I'd say one needs to consider the practicalities over any real or idealised standards... there are something like 12m Sky boxes under the nation's 20m-or-so household TVs. That a massive percentage of users (like me) that'll experience this feature masquerading as a fault...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

HDMI-CEC is the standard under the name that each manufacturer use for the interoperability via HDMI of different devices (braviasync for sony, anynet for samsung, vier link for pansonic, etc.) ... unfortunately Sky boxes do not support it and they could also harm the normal operation of the attached tv if enabled: shame on sky, you should write to them :slight_smile: