Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-46W905A Home button not responding.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
dingardn

KDL-46W905A Home button not responding.

To whoever is reading...

Went to watch a video on YouTube at the weekend and realised the Home button no longer brings up the Home menu, on either remote, but the TV clearly shows the remotes are working as the led flashes to indicate activity. The option button also doesn't bring up the options menu, but again registers the button being pressed and a factory reset doesn't resolve the issue. I can get to the Home menu by pressing SEN, then Home.

Essentialy all I'd like to know is...

1. Am I the only KDL-46W905A user with this issue? &

2. When (roughly) a new firmware update can be expected that will probably resolve this issue now it's been highlighted?

The result of the Phone call is that an engineer is to be sent out and no doubt they will probably just confirm what I've already said, it's firmware related. I was without my last Bravia for a few month after contacting support so unless this TV also melts I would prefer to wait for a FW update (which should now be getting looked in to) than send it off.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mirabeaux
Explorer

Just realized that it's a conflict with the 'HDMI Control' feature on the Sky+ HD box. 

Disable 'HDMI Control' on the Sky box and the Options and Home buttons now function as normal on the tv.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just going to have a quick run-down

1. You have identified a potential issue
  2. You have contacted Sony to report this issue
  3. Sony is sending an engineer round to confirm this issue

In regards to your first question about are you the only one.  At this stage, I have not seen any reports of this issue other than yourself. Neither on this forum, or on other Social Media Forums.  Therefore logically thinking, this may not be a FW issue, as the FW is the same across everyone and more would surely be reporting the fault by now.  It could even be a remote control failure (sending wrong codes) or IR receiver faulty.  Either way an engineer is the first step in resolving this problem.

If it is indeed a FW issue, your next question : When roughly a new FW update would resolve this.  Who knows - no body would be able to tell you that. 

To fix FW bug issue:

1. Sony first has to investigate and identify that it is indeed a FW issue
  2. They then need to be able to reproduce this - if it cannot be reproduced, it cannot be fixed.
  3. Once confirmed and reproduced, it then needs to be fixed - ie programming
  4. Testing then is done
  5. Then a roll-out

All this takes time. 

Please keep us updated anyhow on what the engineer concludes.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
dingardn

Forgive my rant and thanks for the reply, I suppose my thoughts were focused more on the firmware because the last thing I expect to happen on a premium product is for the i.r reciever to have issues within the first 12 months of use. There is also no activity from the Home button on the back of the TV either. I just don't want to have to go through the rigmorole of being without a TV for three months again.

Thanks

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

It's likely not going to help, but did you try a new battery?

profile.country.GB.title
dingardn

The function isn't registered on any remote or using the Home button on the back of the TV so it's not that unless I open the SEN menu first. Thanks for the suggestion, 

RegorsBack
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

i have the x9005A 55" since the last Firmware update I have the exact same issues.

Remote HOME and OPTION buttons no longer work having to access via SEN

was working fine before the update.

We may find same issues trickling through from other users soon as this seems to have happened since the last FW update happened this month.

thought you may find the info useful.

lets hope Sony pick-up on it soon

cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I saw a comment from someone on Sony's twitter feed yesterday also complaining about this issue (you?).  From this I also started making an enquiry about it, but it was after hours, so wont know anything until at very least next week.  

When I know more information I'll post it here

Cheers

mirabeaux
Explorer

Hi,

I have had the same issue with my W905 since the last update.

I'll be interested to hear what response you get from Sony.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

In the mean time, if people are having this problem, can you please click the "Me Too" button on the first post.  As this gives some general indication to Sony on how many are effected.

Also, the people experiencing this issue : do you use the TV remote control via connected equipment using Bravia Sync (HDMI-CEC features) - ie a Sky Box?

Cheers.

mirabeaux
Explorer

Hi,

The Options and Home buttons work fine on the inbuilt digital tv.  In my case, the issue arises when using the Sky+ HD box.

Now that I have put my mind to it, I have a temporary fix - on my tv at least.

Push the 'sync menu' button on the tv remote, then scroll down and select 'tv control with the tv remote'.  The Options and Home buttons now work again as they did originally.

Annoyingly, this doesn't stay in the tv memory and the process has to be carried out again if  the tv has been turned off, or I go back to digital tv, or I use an app.

On the Home button In 'Connected Devices' I have two icons for my Sky box.  'Sky+ HD CTRL HDMI' and 'Sky HDMI 1'.  If I select the second Sky icon (or anything else) the Home and Option buttons no longer work. 

Select the first Sky icon and it says 'Accessing, please wait'  and then a few seconds later 'Communication failed...please check your cable or connection'.  The HDMI cable is securely attached at both ends.

Perhaps this might help Sony solve this problem - which has only arisen since the last update.