Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-32W653 signal to soundbar

profile.country.GB.title
viewer543
Explorer

KDL-32W653 signal to soundbar

Connecting a 32W653 to a Goodmans soundbar using 'Optical' works but I prefer volume control from the TV.  Using analogue through 'Headphones' works  but I have concerns about equalisation.  'Audio Out' shares the same jack socket as 'Headphones' and is variable.

Can anyone say whether 'Audio Out' would be a better flat, non-equalised signal?
Are the signal levels compatible?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi viewer543, 

I'm not too sure about this and could pass it on to the relevant team, but it might be quicker for you to have a chat with Sony Support about the signal levels on 0207 365 281 (or via the contact form).

Best wishes, 

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
viewer543
Explorer

Thank you for the advice.  We shall see what we can find out.

profile.country.GB.title
viewer543
Explorer

Thanks again for the suggestion and when I contacted Sony Support I quickly received this reply:

In response to your enquiry, we can confirm that the communication between the TV and the soundbar through 

the optical cable is digital, while the communication between the TV and the headphones through the 

AUX cable is Analogue.

Furthermore, we recommend yourself to use the Digital connection to enjoy the best performance and 

high quality transfer for the audio from your TV to the soundbar. Also, kindly note that both methods of 

connection do not affect audio equalisation.

SONY SUPPORT TEAM

So, no equalisation which is good.  I have since compared the signal levels when selecting HEADPHONES and AUDIO OUT and the latter is slightly lower in level but the soundbar can easily compensate.

We are now happily using (analogue) AUDIO OUT into the soundbar with volume control through the TV.

(I would still prefer Digital but moreso want controls centralised.)

I hope this helps someone and the Goodmans Aspect Duo GDSBT 50SS soundar splits it two and stands tidily either side of the screen.

Tags (2)
profile.country.GB.title
_Jones_
New

Thanks a lot for the info. My parents have a generic sound-bar connected with optical and I couldn't make the TV control the Sound-bar's volume! with your help I now connected it through the headphones(out, Bravia TV)  to the line in of the sound-bar and it works great!