Join now - be part of our community!

IPlayer

profile.country.GB.title
Bwakfer
New

IPlayer

When will the 2021 TV be able to watch IPlayer ?

feel I was miss sold as this was not mentioned 🥲

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Bwakfer 

Sony assure us they are working on it, but no dates have been given.

Do you have any Sony or dealer literature that claims this app is available on these sets?

Did you specifically mention wanting the IPlayer when you bought it?

If you can answer yes to either question, then you were mis-sold.

Otherwise you just made an assumption which, though reasonable enough, wasn’t the case.

Samsung owners are in the same boat this year.

LG has Freeview Play, so all the main broadcaster apps. I thing Freeview is saying to the TV makers that if they want the apps, they should go with Freeview Play, which currently doesn’t suit Sony or Samsung.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Pixelz

I specifically mentioned iplayer was a requirement when purchasing my 2021 Bravia TV.  The Sony dealer explained the app was coming later, and would appear in the menu automatically.  When I explained this was an issue, I was offered the workaround of running iplayer on my Android smartphone, and casting to the TV.

Regrettably I accepted this workaround and purchased the TV, expecting the app to appear before now.  After 5 months there seems to be no confirmed date for availability, and no communication from Sony.

The same issue applies to ITV Hub and All4 catch-up apps.

I feel strongly this TV was mis-sold, but I'm unsure if I should persist in trying to contact someone at Sony who has more information, or if I should pursue this with the dealer.  Either way, in my opinion the Sony brand has been seriously damaged

Piscie
Community Team

It was confirmed by Sony that they're working on it and it will be available very soon! No specific date though, hopefully they will make it before the end of this year.

profile.country.GB.title
Bwakfer
New

I would second your opinion and would never have bought mine. 
May be I was wrong to assume it had the apps, but all so it should have been pointed out at the time of sale. Definitely will ask all the questions next time 🙄