Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-Z4500 - Any use with just a internet cable?

profile.country.en_GB.title
JohnnyD123
Explorer

Bravia KDL-Z4500 - Any use with just a internet cable?

I have a KDL-Z4500 in a room with no arial connection, and no sky/virgin box.  So I have no TV signal of any kind. Just a broadband connection.  It seems this model doesn't have SEN so is there anything I can do with this thing or is it just taking up a lot of desk space?

There is a PC in the same room, so can I stream stuff from that (netflix maybe?) from the PC to the big screen?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you have no aerial or additional addon-box for TV, well... your options are rather limited. As you have a PC in the same room, you could connect the TV to the PC directly via HDMI or VGA and use it as a big monitor.  'bout it really.

Cheers

JohnnyD123
Explorer

soooooo... paperweight then.

Are there any TV boxes that work via the internet?  Kind of like "SEN" in a box? or something similar?

Anonymous
Not applicable

For a no fuss solution, a smart bluray player is rather effective.

However, I have a suggestion.  Depending on whether you want something "off-the-shelf" as I suggested above.  However, have you considered a "do-it-yourself" box.  Look at Raspberry Pi.  Its cheap, fully customisable on what you want, and a large community.  I've been meaning to get my hands stuck into this, but never got around to it yet.  Its not too difficult to start with - as there are many OS images available. Raspberry just released a new model "Raspberry Pi 2"

See :

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

JohnnyD123
Explorer

So there's no kind 'internet tv' box I can buy off the shelf?  don't really want it just for watching dvd's...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

One possibility is to buy a bluray player (like Sony BDP5200) that on top of  playing  BDs (that give you a better result than watching a DVD in any case) is packed with all the internet stuff you may find in modern smart tv (mirroring via wifi of smartphone/tablet/PC, netflix, BBP iplayer, youtube, etc...)